Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Time Scaling of Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

anuragmash

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a very basic question to ask! I have just started a course on signals and systems and I am finding time shifting and time scaling very confusing. I don't understand how by multiplying by a factor >1 the original signal gets compressed i.e. why is x(4t) is a compressed version of x(t). Please can any1 help regarding this. Can any1 give me a sound explanation regarding this question! Thanks in advance...

let explain the problem with your example: x(t)=t so x(4t)=4t. if we want calculate two function in 1, x(1)=1 but in second function we should use t=1/4 because we want 1 in parentheses and if you draw these functions you can see second function is compress.

Thanks for your answer ahmad1954!!!
I didn't quite understand what you meant by "if we want calculate two function in 1"...what i did understand is that in the transformed graph the time axis is 1/a times (say t') the original graph's time axis (say t)...but how does the transformed graph become x(2t') i cannot understand. Can you please elaborate a bit. Thanks in advance...!!!!

x(t)=t and x(4t)=4t. suppose y(t)=x(4t)=4t. so x(t)=t and y(t)=4t. now if draw these function you can see scaling on y(t). do you understand?

Last edited:

If t becomes 2t means actually the FREQUENCY is multiplied twice not the time.
Hence time period automatically contracts. Hope you got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back