Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIFO buffer in C for AT89s8252

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandAlf

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Anyone help with this, not very good at C yet. What I have is an AT89s8252 programmed with k**l and tiny rtos. I have one task that that sits and uses _getkey and assigns it to an 8 bit int global variable. This variable is then read by another task that processes it if > 0. The problem I have is that if more than one number is received in a period less than the processing time, I find I am missing it. What I would like to do is for the _getkey task to write to a buffer of 10 say, and then read it in the other task, of course when a particular location is read it should then be destroyed and the next in the queue move up to be processed, until the buffer was empty. I have searched on the web, but cannot find anything suitable for MCUs. I had thought that this chip had a hardware buffer, but in this application it seems to have no effect. Would very much appreciate any assistance on this.

Mike

fifo in c

I usually do something like these code fragments:

Code:
#define BUFSIZE 16      /* power of two should compile efficiently */

volatile unsigned char fifo[BUFSIZE];
volatile unsigned rd=0, wr=0;       /* read and write positions */

/* write a byte into FIFO */
fifo[wr] = get_input_byte();
wr = (wr + 1) % BUFSIZE;

/* read bytes from FIFO */
while (rd != wr)
{
  do_something_with_byte(fifo[rd]);
  rd = (rd + 1) % BUFSIZE;
}

c fifo

Brilliant, just what I was looking for. It is similar to what I was trying to do, but I guess I screwed up in a few places, I can see where now. Many thanks.

c fifo buffer

There is another little trik with FIFO buffers.

If you use good FIFO sizes (16, 32, 64 or 128 bytes) you can use >> operator instead %.

But if you use 256 bytes FIFO size and one byte FIFO buffer pointer you don't need any divide operator, only pointer increment operation.

#define FIFO_BUFFER_SIZE 256

unsigned char FIFO[FIFO_BUFFER_SIZE];
unsigned char BUFFER[2048];

unisgned char *pw, *pr; // use appropriate compiler directive for one byte pointers
unisgned char *p; // two-byte pointer

void interrupt_service_routine()
{
*pw++=get_input_byte();
}

void main() {
pw=&FIFO[0]; // Init FIFO write pointer
pr=&FIFO[0]; // Init FIFO read pointer

p=&BUFFER[0];

// In some process routine check state of FIFO and store received bytes to
// linear buffer.

while (pr!= pw) {