Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gain bandwidth product of unity gain opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

issac newton

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have attached a bode plot and the opamp dc second order lpf circuit. the opamp Tl082 has a gain bandwidth product of 4Mhz according to the datasheet. this circuit has a bandwidth of 414.25khz. can we determine the opamp' individual gain-bandwidth product from this plot ??
if yes , how do we find the answer ? bode ac.JPGopamp.JPG

Yes, it is possible. However, you have to accept some errors caused by a simplification.
That means: You have to assume a simplified opamp open-loop gain expression A(s)=GBW/s=wt/s (wt=transit frequency).
This simplification would lead to a second-order lowpass response. But as you can see - your simulation reveals that the phase response exceeds -180 deg.
This is, of course, caused by the higher-order opamp model. However, it can be expected that the error will be relatively small.
The procedure is as follows:
* Calculate the second-order lowpass function of the circuit using A(s)=wt/s and identify the expression for the pole frequency wp (which contains wt=GBW)
* From the simulation (Bode diagram) find the pole frequency wp. Assuming a second-order response, this frequency wp can be found for phase=-90 deg.
* Compare both wp values (calculated vs. simulated) and solve for wt=GBW.

For determination of the transfer function I have used a symbolic simulation program.
After some manipulations I arrived at

H(s)=Vo/Vin=1/D(s) and D(s)=1+s*(K/wt)+[s*(K/wt)]^2 with K=1+R2/R1

Comparing the denominator D(s) with the classical second-order form D(s)=1+s/(Qp*wp)+[s/wp]^2
we immediately find: wp=wt/K or wt=GBW=wp*K.

From your simulation:
Pole frequency wp is approximately 400...420 kHz (find exact value at phase=-90 deg) .
Thus: wt=GBW=wp*K=wp*(1+R2/R1).

Hope it helps.

Yes, it is possible. However, you have to accept some errors caused by a simplification.
That means: You have to assume a simplified opamp open-loop gain expression A(s)=GBW/s=wt/s (wt=transit frequency).
This simplification would lead to a second-order lowpass response. But as you can see - your simulation reveals that the phase response exceeds -180 deg.
This is, of course, caused by the higher-order opamp model. However, it can be expected that the error will be relatively small.
The procedure is as follows:
* Calculate the second-order lowpass function of the circuit using A(s)=wt/s and identify the expression for the pole frequency wp (which contains wt=GBW)
* From the simulation (Bode diagram) find the pole frequency wp. Assuming a second-order response, this frequency wp can be found for phase=-90 deg.
* Compare both wp values (calculated vs. simulated) and solve for wt=GBW.

For determination of the transfer function I have used a symbolic simulation program.
After some manipulations I arrived at

H(s)=Vo/Vin=1/D(s) and D(s)=1+s*(K/wt)+[s*(K/wt)]^2 with K=1+R2/R1

Comparing the denominator D(s) with the classical second-order form D(s)=1+s/(Qp*wp)+[s/wp]^2
we immediately find: wp=wt/K or wt=GBW=wp*K.

From your simulation:
Pole frequency wp is approximately 400...420 kHz (find exact value at phase=-90 deg) .
Thus: wt=GBW=wp*K=wp*(1+R2/R1).

Hope it helps.

Capture.JPG

I Substituted A=GB/s not GB/2 sorry for the typo in the pic

where alpha = r1/r1+r2

Sorry Mr.LvW, i dont clearly understand what u said. i derived the transfer function as shown in the picture. but how to find wp(cut off frequency) from the second equation. i can substitute 1/sqr(2) for v0/vi. but i dont know GBW and wp in the equation. please help me. thank u.

Last edited:

View attachment 80867
I Substituted A=GB/s not GB/2 sorry for the typo in the pic
where alpha = r1/r1+r2
Sorry Mr.LvW, i dont clearly understand what u said. i derived the transfer function as shown in the picture. but how to find wp(cut off frequency) from the second equation. i can substitute 1/sqr(2) for v0/vi. but i dont know GBW and wp in the equation. please help me. thank u.

Your result is identical to the transfer function I have found if you replace:
alpha=1/K and GB=wt.

Please note that you shouldn't write "G^2*B^2". GB is just an abbreviation for the "gain-bandwidth-product" which is (for unity gain compensated opamps like TL082) identical to the transit frequency wt.

Now to your question:
You have two transfer functions: The first one is calculated in terms of GB=wt (as shown above) and the second one is the general form - expressed by the classical pole data Qp and wp.
Please note, that the pole frequency is NOT identical to the cut-off frequency.
Now, you have only to compare both formulas if both are written in the same form (D(s)=1+a+s+b*s^2).
In detail: you compare the factors of s^2 which give you the formula for (1/wp)^2.
This leads to wp=wt*alpha=wt/K.
That's all you need. As I told you - the value of pole frequency wp for your circuit can be found at the frequency where the phase crosses -90 deg.
Now you can calculate the value for wt=GB.
Please note: You do NOT need the cut-off frequency. It does not help because it does not appear in the general transfer function form.

- - - Updated - - -

Remark: Don't forget that your BODE diagram is scaled in 1/sec=Hz - in contrast to the formulas above which contain w in rad/sec (w=2*Pi*f).

Your result is identical to the transfer function I have found if you replace:
alpha=1/K and GB=wt.

Please note that you shouldn't write "G^2*B^2". GB is just an abbreviation for the "gain-bandwidth-product" which is (for unity gain compensated opamps like TL082) identical to the transit frequency wt.

Now to your question:
You have two transfer functions: The first one is calculated in terms of GB=wt (as shown above) and the second one is the general form - expressed by the classical pole data Qp and wp.
Please note, that the pole frequency is NOT identical to the cut-off frequency.
Now, you have only to compare both formulas if both are written in the same form (D(s)=1+a+s+b*s^2).
In detail: you compare the factors of s^2 which give you the formula for (1/wp)^2.
This leads to wp=wt*alpha=wt/K.
That's all you need. As I told you - the value of pole frequency wp for your circuit can be found at the frequency where the phase crosses -90 deg.
Now you can calculate the value for wt=GB.
Please note: You do NOT need the cut-off frequency. It does not help because it does not appear in the general transfer function form.

- - - Updated - - -

Remark: Don't forget that your BODE diagram is scaled in 1/sec=Hz - in contrast to the formulas above which contain w in rad/sec (w=2*Pi*f).

thank u Mr.LvW. but theres a problem in my calc. as u said i found wp from the simulation plot by finding fp=302.26k hz(diagram) and finding wp=2*pi*fp.

the K value is 11 (given by 11k/1k). using these values i land up with gb or wt as
11*wp=20.8*10^6, which means the opamp has unity gain till 20.8Mhz. This is xtremely non-intuitive. kindly help .thank u.

thank u Mr.LvW. but theres a problem in my calc. as u said i found wp from the simulation plot by finding fp=302.26k hz(diagram) and finding wp=2*pi*fp.
the K value is 11 (given by 11k/1k). using these values i land up with gb or wt as
11*wp=20.8*10^6, which means the opamp has unity gain till 20.8Mhz. This is xtremely non-intuitive. kindly help .thank u.

Everything OK - except your interpretation:

The product (11*wp) gives wt=6.28*ft in rad/sec.
This leads to ft=20.8/6.28=3.3 MHz. And that sounds reasonable, does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back