Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solid state relay for Dc voltage switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliraza786

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello i want to make a circuit of solid state relay for DC high power switching almost 20 amps and 300 volts kindly guide me how can i build this circuit... solid state relays circuits available on net can switching ac voltage but i want to switch Dc voltage kindly guide me thanks :)

Solid state relays are just semiconductor technology. If you want to switch 20 Amps 300V DC it may be sufficient to use a simple mosfet switch with a mosfet rated for these currents and voltages.

kindly suggest me some good IRF series mosfet number which can handle this power. i am searching on Google but couldn't find any proper Mosfet. i did experiment with IRF740 but it blows out ..

Check the online parametric searches of different manufacturers, including those of IRF, ST, Fairchild, Vishay, IXYS, etc.

You may also use an IGBT (depending on frequency of operation).

Make sure you choose a device with a voltage rating > 300V and current rating > 20A. Make sure you have some margin for safety.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

thanku so much for your suggestion steinar96... i try this... and thanku so much Tahmid for your attention. kindly tell me how can i do parameter search.? and even if i find right mmosfet then i dnt know it is available in pakistan....... and does power depends on size of the mosfet.? i am asking because IRF740 and the one suggested by steinar96 has same size... i make circuit in real time by IRF and Gate driver but they blast . like this

You can use snubber for protection from spikes, etc. But if current flowing through the MOSFET is greater than the MOSFET's current handling capacity, the snubber won't protect it. You'll just burn the MOSFET. So, choose a MOSFET that can handle more than the amount of current flowing through the MOSFET.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.