Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to design a low-voltage to high-voltage level shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeyh

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Level shifter

Hi,

I need to design a low-voltage to high-voltage level shifter. Is there any recommended ebooks or papers on the designing of low-voltage to high-voltage level shifter? Any recommendations on the architecture for level shifter?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Level shifter

What voltages are required ?
See attached jpeg for 1.8V to 5V up convertor

Reactions: orient

lokeyh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

orient

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Level shifter

Use above CKT. please pay attention the positve feedback and latch the voltage

lokeyh said:
Hi,
designing of low-voltage to high-voltage level shifter? Any recommendations on the architecture for level shifter?
How much high-voltage level shifter we are talking about? If it is in ranges of 5-100volts use a power opamp and if more I suggest you to use a transformer.

Level shifter

Hi, yeewong_su,

Can you provide more in detail about those stuffs?

Thanks in advance

I am asking in terms of IC design. The problem with the circuit provided by yeewong_su is that it depends on how low the 1.8V can go. if the 1.8V goes down to 0.8V, the thick-oxide NMOS at the 2.5V portion will not be able to pull the signal low. Is there any other circuits?

Hi Colbhaidh,

I will try the design.

Hi all,

Are there other architectures for level-shifter?

If your siganl come from NMOS transitor you can use PMOS common drain circuit to obtain high voltage level shift

how about to mirror current? Use NMOS for mirroring. It works but I can't show the structure.....

This also depends on how fast the signal goes, and how much load needs to be driven. I assume the input is a digital signal while the output is to control analog circuitry. The cross coupled structure can work up to MHz range. If higher speed is needed, may need to cascade a few inverters.

any reference books talk about?
i want to learn how to design also
= p

Level shifter

It is quite interesting to read the low-voltage to high voltage level shifter . But I meet a problem. I need to design a 1Gbps to several Gbps PECL output buffer, the traditional source follower's efficiency is too low . Is there any good alternative choice?

What is the speed of your level shifter?
For the frequency under 300MHz for 0.18um CMOS process, you could use the simple circuit with 2 PMOS latch and 2 NMOS .

The <<CMOS :CIRCUIT DESIGN, LAYOUT, AND SIMULATION >>
By R.J Baker etc.

PP 370 .

Status
Not open for further replies.