Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

difference Between transmission and broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean_winchester

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please can someone explain the difference between transmission and broadcasting.
Also, have a doubt that in India we use DVB-T for broadcast and PAL for transmission. What does this statement means.

Broadcasting is one kind of Transmission.
But it is differentiated on the point of "who is able to receive."

Broadcasted signals can be received by anyone. No authentication or payment is required. Just one needs to have an receiving antenna that is capable of receiving the broadcasted signals.

Transmission can be thought of as the Dish TV transmission. You will need to have the Set-top box (or the authenticator) to be able to decipher the received signal and show it on TV.

PAL and DVB-T are the encoding standards used for video signals.

thanks for the reply. but DVB is used for broadcasting and PAL for transmission. So that menas the DVB signal is received by Dish TV and the Tuner used in TV is of PAL type to see channels in India. If i use NTSC tuner i won't be able to see channels... right ??

Broadcasted signals can be received by anyone. No authentication or payment is required. Just one needs to have an receiving antenna that is capable of receiving the broadcasted signals.
I think you are overinterpreting terms. Pay-TV channels are usually considered as broadcast.

Broadcast means essentially one sender - multiple receivers.

I think you are overinterpreting terms. Pay-TV channels are usually considered as broadcast.

Broadcast means essentially one sender - multiple receivers.

Ya, sorry for that. I just missed the Transmitter part. It is essentially 1 Transmitter and many receiver.

thanks for the reply. but DVB is used for broadcasting and PAL for transmission. So that menas the DVB signal is received by Dish TV and the Tuner used in TV is of PAL type to see channels in India. If i use NTSC tuner i won't be able to see channels... right ??

PAL and NTSC are the encoding techniques that are used with color signals.
NTSC is used in US, and takes 525 lines scanning standard.
PAL is used in India and it takes 625 line standard.

These encoding techniques are different from the transmission and broadcasting.
Any kind of signal can be transmitted. It need not be PAL or NTSC.

DVB-T is a digital TV standard (terrestric broadcast, there are also digital cable DVB-C and satellite DVB-S). PAL is the analog color TV standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back