Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dram/sram, how many sense amps needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfieee

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

for a particular sized dram and sram cell, how many sense amps do you need? for example a 512 X 512 X 8 (bit) memory array, how many sense amps would be needed for dram and sram?

I know that each column in sram would have 8 sense amp for the 8 bits. that makes 8 X 512 sense amps total? or just 8 sense amps (all 512 columns sharing it)?

how about dram? how many sense amp would it need per column, and total column?

I have searched online for this info, but most of them just show a box of sense amps and didn't mention about the number of sense amps needed.

well, the way some text books explain for 1 T Dram, they specificaly say that each bit line will require a sense amp because they are single ended output. It seems to imply that the Dram would require more sense amps than Sram.

But 1 T Dram has only one bitline instead of 2 bitline, and so like you said, 1 column of Dram will have 8 sense amps.

It is the way some text book presents the material that is confusing me.

So I just want to confirm that although Sram has bitline and bitline-bar, it uses a differential sense amp because it is differential. A Dram has only a bitline and it uses a sense amp. So, both RAMs will require the same amount of sense amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.