Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microstrip patch antenna design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayanthi.k

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which feed is best for improving the performance of microstrip patch antenna?

which type of performance do u want to change?

which type of performance do u want to change?

Actually i want to design microstrip patch antenna using capacitively loaded loop which should be used in UWB frequency range,,so which type of feed should i use?microstrip line or coaxial feed?

usually microstrip feed by SMA it related your choice for more information about this antenna and capacity load u can read broadband microstrip antenna by kin Lu Wong

Microstrip feed is a better option as probe fed antennas usually have lower BW as compared to other feed techniques.

Any microstrip antenna handbook would give you detailed info on the feed techniques. For Example - Microstrip Handbook by Bahl and Bhatia.

I am aware of the antenna design handbooks and different feed types, but was not aware that feed type changes the bandwidth. Can you give a technical reasoning or reference to support your statement? Balanis only mentioned proximity coupling feed as having larger bandwidth, but does not mention any difference in bandwidth between standard microstrip feed and probe feed.

Here is a quick basics of antenna feeds attached. Page 7.

Attachments

• handbook6.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
Quote for your PDF:
"Probe-fed microstrip patches have similar issues to edge-fed patches; namely, their bandwidth is somewhat small"

Microstrip feed is not only edge feed, but it could also be proximity coupled / aperture coupled which are no doubt better than probe feed when it comes to BW.

One possible reason why the BW of probe feed is smaller than that of microstrip feed is due to the parasitic inductance introduced by the excessive height of the probe penetrating through the whole substrate.

I am aware of the antenna design handbooks and different feed types, but was not aware that feed type changes the bandwidth. Can you give a technical reasoning or reference to support your statement? Balanis only mentioned proximity coupling feed as having larger bandwidth, but does not mention any difference in bandwidth between standard microstrip feed and probe feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back