Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sending data serially through single pin 8051, not by using serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinesh401

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can we send data serialy through single port pin in 8051 not by using serial port.
if possible can u tell me how to do

The answer to your question is YES as well as NO!!!!
Yes because serial pin is basically a port pin with an extra function.
And NO, because, when you perform serial communication there's a requirement of Some frequency(BAUD RATE) which any other normal pins do not have d ability except for P3.0 P3.1.
Hope I could clear your doubt.
Cheers,
Jai Bathija.

understood what u said. my aim to send data serially to 74hc595 which is a serial in parallel out shift register. For this i have to give 1 serial data input through which we can get parralel outputs.
for refernce the datasheet of 74hc595

By using 3 pins we can send data to the 74hc595, so i want to generate a clock for the 74hc595 to receive data serially.
But i cannot send data seriallly through single pin in 8051 mc like serial port. you said it is possible to send data serially through another pin in 8051. can u explan the algorithm how to do it.

...my aim to send data serially to 74hc595 which is a serial in parallel out shift register. For this i have to give 1 serial data input through which we can get parralel outputs.
for refernce the datasheet of 74hc595

By using 3 pins we can send data to the 74hc595, so i want to generate a clock for the 74hc595 to receive data serially.
But i cannot send data seriallly through single pin in 8051 mc like serial port. you said it is possible to send data serially through another pin in 8051. can u explan the algorithm how to do it.

You can certainly emulate the majority of serial interfaces by utilizing only general I/O pins, rather than a hardware module specifically designed for the interface, including: UART, I2C, TWI, 1-Wire, SPI, etc.

The technique is often referred to as bit banging or soft, for example a UART interface comprimised of general I/O is referred to as a bit banged UART or soft UART.

The 74HC595 shift register is often interfaced using an SPI interface. The following discussion thread is a detailed discussion of just such an implementation using a PIC microcontroller, however most of the concepts can be adapted to the 8051 variants:

Questions bout shiftregisters (74HC575, 74HC597)

Similar discussion although oriented around the AT89S52 and 74HC595:

89s52 interfacing with 74HC595 shift register program

Silabs appnote using C8051F and 74HC595:

LOW PIN-COUNT LCD INTERFACE C8051F & 74HC595

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.