Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to remove write protection on a USB pen drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snitch

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a USB pen drive. I could save files in it sometime ago connecting it to my desktop computer. Now when I try to save files in it or format it connecting to my laptop, a message appears saying it's not possible because the device is write protected. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Check software on PC, if there is some USB pen drive security software? Or try to format it.

Can be also damaged flash chip.

Reactions: Snitch

Snitch

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i guess the problem can be solved by formatting it in linux. hav a try.

Snitch

Thanks for your replies. :)

Tpetar, I tried to format it and it doesn't work because the disk is write protected. There is no pen drive security software. It's about 1 year old but I used it only once to save a single file and after that it's yesterday I tried to use it again.

msharmavikram, I tried to format it in linux. Same result. It can't be formatted because it's write protected.

I think the problem with controller chip or flash chip itself on that pen drive.

Snitch

I have done some USB drives formatted with the attached Low Level Format file successfully. Try it may you succeed.

View attachment LLFsetup.2.36.1181.exe

This is a free utility program. Even you can try download from the Web.

Snitch

the bad news is that you have a fake pen drive so it will not be formatted or work again.
Always buy genuine pen drives which have serial numbers written on the sealed packet
and buy it from reputable computer stores

Snitch

Status
Not open for further replies.