Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

listing program SD Card to use with ATMega8

Status
Not open for further replies.

agankimpoy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can i get some reference for listing program in CodeVision AVR for using SD Card with my microcontroller module in SPI mode or not.
i use ATMega8 with SMD type.
cause i'm newbie in progamming.
thanks.
:smile:

The following is a fairly extensive four part tutorial covering FAT and SD with AVR:

Simple FAT and SD Tutorial Part 1

The above tutorial should get you started in the right direction, I believe code for an ATMEGA88 is provided.

BigDog

thanks for the suggest Mr. Big Dog.
;-)
can i ask you some more?
communication between SD Card and micro is it always use SPI mode?

communication between SD Card and micro is it always use SPI mode?

No, the original SD communications protocol is the SD bus, a 4-bit (nibble) parallel interface. Therefore, there are two methods of establishing communications with an SD card, SD bus and SPI.

BigDog

Communication between SD Card with microcontroller can use either SD Bus or SPI. But, I think SPI interface have more documentation on internet rather than SD Bus.

if i use SPI mode is there need some more additional circuit for that?
or we just setting in the program?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

You can implement a SD card interface using either hardware or bit-banged SPI.

Many microcontrollers offer a hardware SPI module, which requires proper initialization.

You should also be aware that the SD card is a 3.3V device, not 5V, therefore the interface will require 3.3V supply and level shifting for the I/O if the AVR is operating at 5V.

Does this answer your question?

BigDog

Just noticed this thread due to pingback to my blog. Agankimpoy, if you're also planning SD card functionality, I also wrote a 4-part SD card tutorial a while ago that might be helpful:

https://codeandlife.com/2012/04/02/simple-fat-and-sd-tutorial-part-1/

Edit: Whoops, just realized the earlier link to my tutorial was exactly this (I somehow thought it was for my V-USB tutorial). Sorry for double posting it. :sad:

Last edited:
Mr. BigDog : I'm done separately for the supply but now i'm very confuse with source code to connect my micro, SD Card and my module MP3 (I using VS1001E). But thanks for the notice for supply :)

Jokkebk : okay, i'll try it to look at your blog. thanks :)

i need reference for listing program in codevision to access EMS SD Card Module with DT-AVR ATMega128 as my microcontroller..
anyone can help it?
thanks..
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back