Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1000 watt pure sine wave inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day friendz,am new to the world of elect elect.And am on a project on building a 12vdc to 120vac inverter.Pls genoveta nd kabiru,put me through with al d terms.And pls kabiru am a nigerian nd my name is olamide.Tanx

You are highly welcome to Edaboard olamide,and dont hesitate to report your complain.

Thanx sir kabiru.Lyk i said b4.Am new to d world of electronics,pls i created a thread on electronics elementry question forum wit topic i nid help on how to build 12vdc to 220vac.Pls i nid all the help i cn get,pls

@Olamide2nd: For respect of all Edaboard visitors, I would be grateful if you will start to write in ENGLISH.
I see no reasons in using such a slang as you was texting!
. thanks in advance.

Thanks bepolate,i was using my mobile phone to access the site yesterday.Pls i need your help to build my project by september.

The simplest thing you have to do is:
- explain your experience regarding inverters
- what you have already found/discovered searching on this forum and internet
- what were the problems you encountered during your previous experimentations on inverters
- what are you requirements: power, input/output voltage, stability, kind of output load (resistitive/reactive/capacitive/...)
- how much time/money do you want spend on your project
- any more info needed for your project

please re-read what you have written till now and you'll see that except using weird word abbreviation, you have said NOTHING about your real requirements.
It does not seem a good start for your project!!!
Are you a student who was given a project to do and don't want to do your homework? Maybe it seems to me, but I hope I'm wrong.... ;)

Thanks bepolote.This project is actually a key way for me into an institution called PTI in Nigeria.I haven't got any esperiences with inverter.And am just starting the experiment.Thats why i need you guys to explain the terms and solutions so that as i encounter them,i would give you guys update.Requirements are:power=100w,input=12vdc,output=120vac,frequency=50Hz.Time i got is from now til september.My apparatus i have got include a 25v,65uf tatalum capacitor,10ohm,1watt resistor,hep 154 silicon diode,2N3055NPN transistor,24v transformer center tapped.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bepolote.This project is actually a key way for me into an institution called PTI in Nigeria.I haven't got any esperiences with inverter.And am just starting the experiment.Thats why i need you guys to explain the terms and solutions so that as i encounter them,i would give you guys update.Requirements are:power=100w,input=12vdc,output=120vac,frequency=50Hz.Time i got is from now til september.My apparatus i have got include a 25v,65uf tatalum capacitor,10ohm,1watt resistor,hep 154 silicon diode,2N3055NPN transistor,24v transformer center tapped.

Thank you very much Genovator for the response
So what you are saing is that if i want ot make an inverter of say 2000 watt, i would have to have an inductor, or series of inductors that can atleast handle 2000/230 = 8.69 Amps. So the larger i make the output, the larger the inductor amprage needs to be.
And a series of smaller inductors will still have the same effect as if i was using only one inductor

Hello olamide, you can upload the circute diagram of the inverter you are to work on or if you have any difficulties you can lay your complains you are wellcome to EDAboard ones again.

1000 watts inverter, if done with simple bipolar power transistors is difficult, and requires large energy storage in inductors and capacitors. Switched-Mode Power inverter technology is now very developed, and used for AC motor control in place of DC servo-motors. It includes includes power factor correction when driving inductive loads (like motors). It is unlikely to be able to deliver 1000W good sine wave, and efficiently with a simple push-pull drive using 2N3055s.

Modern switch-mode inverters work at higher frequency, tens or hundreds of KHz, using power FETs or IGBT switching semiconductors. I have used 12.5kHz on 70kW motor-generator drives, and returned excess energy to the supply.

There are many such circuits, and now, it is possible to regulate the inverter to synthesise a psuedo-sine wave which will become a clean sine-wave when the high frequency switching components are filtered out. This is how wind-turbines can synchronously deliver energy to the power supply grid. I have a portable generator where the machine no longer has to run with a heavy flywheel, at a fixed speed, to make a sine-wave. The electronics delivers the sine-wave, and the motor alters its speed to suit the load.

There are lots of example circuits, and free designs from makers of these power semiconductors, and especially from manufacturers of integrated SMPSU controllers. Google or DuckDuckGo is your friend here.

Especially, visit the Linear Technology website, and download LTSpice IV. This is an excellent (free) general purpose SPICE simulator, with example designs based on that company's products, but it is not restricted to that. You can use it to design and simulate even a 2N3055 push-pull inverter, or something using another supplier's power semiconductors. Let the blow-ups happen in software :)

Hope this helps

Thankyou for the help Genovator.
so what u are saing is if i put 4x 0.250 H inductors in series, i will get the 1 H that i need. makes sense
What is the largest inverter that i can make using this circuit? I take it that it would be 1000 watt, as this what the original post was about.
I thank you again for all your help Genovator.
Enjoy your day

The amount of power this circuit can withstand depends on the amount until it catches fire or starts to malfunction. This is why I recommended to use it upto 100W. Push-pull inverters are good for higher wattage.

Guys am sorry i havent updated yet,my system had a little problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Sir genoveta,thanks for that circuit diagram,thats the one i want to make.Sir kabiru the circuit diagram has been posted by sir genoveta already,and am going to start the experimentation today.Is GND the same thing as negative terminal of the battery in the circuit?Sir kabiru the circuit diagram has been posted by sir Genoveta.Thanks in advance

Yes. GND is same for negative terminal in this circuit, only if you use a single 12V battery. If you use 2 or more batteries then we have to see its orientation...
For a 100W inverter, at 120V output, any 12v acid battery can be used.

The C1and C2 in this circuit works in charging-discharging principle. I designed this circuit in my simulation software and I found that 68uF discharges so fast that the resultant frequency becomes 36.825 Hz. By some trial & error method, I made this log...

C1 & C2 values````````````Frequency````````````Variation
***********``````````` ********```````````*******

68uF````````````````````36.825```````````````+-0.005
63uF````````````````````39.728```````````````+-0.005
56uF````````````````````44.670```````````````+-0.005
50uF````````````````````50.007```````````````+-0.005
47uF````````````````````53.185```````````````+-0.005
40uF````````````````````62.455```````````````+-0.005

It would be nice to use a right capacitor as per your choice.

Last edited:

Am very happy guys for your support,thankx all

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks 1ce more genoveta.So are u trying to say that instead of using 68uf capacitor,i rather use a 40uf capacitor?One other question is,how will the battery get recharged after exhusted,do i nid to build another circuit for that?Thanks once more

Thank you Genovator.
I will then only build it up to 100W
Do u perhaps have a circuit diagram of a push pull inverter that i can try to build after i am done with this one.
Pls can u tell me what simulation program u are using, as i am looking for a good simulation program to experiment with and learn how circuits work and so on.
Thankyou
Enjou your day

yes reynier1223,you can start with the circuit diagram uploaded by genovetor its a working diagram and you can also increase the capacity if you wish,you can also try multism or protues for your simulations.

Any goodies guys,have been waiting for an update

- - - Updated - - -

In my circuit diagram,i discovered dat wen tracing the flow of current around the circuit and the terminals,the terminals were kind of opposite somehow.For instance,c1 has its + on the right wile c2 has its on its left side.Pls guys check it.Is it actually corect lyk dat?And if it is,pls give ur reasons and explanation.Thanks to all

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/inverter.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back