Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Icarus verilog problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ned_zeppelin

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been using Icarus Verilog along with gtkwave (on various versions of Ubuntu) for a little while now, and it has been great. However, I have recently stumbled onto a problem I am unable to solve.

This is the makefile I use (simple makefile, that I pretty much found online) :
Code:
VERILOGEX = .v # Verilog file 

# testbench path TESTBENCH is passed from the command line
TESTBENCHPATH = testbenches/${TESTBENCH}$(VERILOGEX)
SOURCEPATH = src

#iverilog CONFIG
VERILOG_CMD = iverilog
#VERILOG_FLAGS  = 

# VVP (iverilog runtime engine)
VVP_CMD = vvp -llogfile -v
#VVP_FLAGS = 

#Simulation Vars
SIMDIR = simulation
DUMPTYPE = vcd

#Viewer
WAVEFORM_VIEWER = gtkwave # Waveform viewer executable

all: compile run view

file_check:
ifeq ($(strip $(FILES)),)
	@echo "FILES not set. Use FILES=value to set it. Put mutltiple files in quotes"
	@exit 2
endif                                                                                             

testbench_check:
ifeq ($(strip $(TESTBENCH)),)
	@echo "TESTBENCH not set. Use TESTBENCH=value to set it."
	@exit 2
endif                                                                                             
check: file_check
	$(VERILOG_CMD) -t null $(FILES)

# Setup up project directory
new :
	echo "Setting up project ${PROJECT}"
	mkdir src testbench simulation	

compile : testbench_check
	mkdir -p simulation                            
	$(VERILOG_CMD) -o  $(SIMDIR)/$(TESTBENCH) $(TESTBENCHPATH) $(SOURCEPATH)/*                         

run : testbench_check
	$(VVP_CMD) $(SIMDIR)/$(TESTBENCH) -$(DUMPTYPE) $(VVP_FLAGS) 
	mv dump.$(DUMPTYPE) $(SIMDIR)/$(TESTBENCH).$(DUMPTYPE)

view : testbench_check       
	$(WAVEFORM_VIEWER)  $(SIMDIR)/$(TESTBENCH).$(DUMPTYPE)

clean : testbench_check             
	rm $(SIMDIR)/$(TESTBENCH)*

The basic use is:
make all TESTBENCH=testbench.v

I have simulated many minor design with this setup, without any problems. However when simulating my last design, which is a bit larger (containing around 20 modules) the simulation gets a bit problematic.
Initially, the simulation finished without any problems. But as the testbench passes a certain amount of clock cycles, the simulation never finishes. No error message appears, and it does not crash, it just never finishes. The last message to be printed is this:
VCD info: dumpfile dump.vcd opened for output.

I tried simulating the exact same files in Active HDL (student edition, Windows), and it worked fine. It didn't take more than a second or two either, so the runtime is not the problem it seems.

I have tried letting iVerilog run for quite some time too without any luck. I could of course just switch to Active HDL and Windows, but that would be a last resort, as I already have a good setup going in Ubuntu with IVerilog and gtkwave.

I tried using diiferent output formats, such as lx2 etc. as well but it didn't help.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have simulated many minor design with this setup, without any problems. However when simulating my last design, which is a bit larger (containing around 20 modules) the simulation gets a bit problematic.
Initially, the simulation finished without any problems. But as the testbench passes a certain amount of clock cycles, the simulation never finishes. No error message appears, and it does not crash, it just never finishes. The last message to be printed is this:
VCD info: dumpfile dump.vcd opened for output.

I tried simulating the exact same files in Active HDL (student edition, Windows), and it worked fine. It didn't take more than a second or two either, so the runtime is not the problem it seems.

I have tried letting iVerilog run for quite some time too without any luck. I could of course just switch to Active HDL and Windows, but that would be a last resort, as I already have a good setup going in Ubuntu with IVerilog and gtkwave.

I tried using diiferent output formats, such as lx2 etc. as well but it didn't help.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

i think this peculiar problem can be answered by stephen williams(icarus write).
you can post your problem in:
https://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=149850

you may get a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.