Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What can I use to build a fingerprint scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3wais

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What can I use to get Fingerprints ?
I have read something in wikipedia that says Optical and Capacitance and Ultrasonic sensors can be used for this

can the usual touch panels be used ?
or where can i get any of these sensors to interface with a microcontroller ?
I dont want a ready module or scanner . i want to do one myself !!

Re: Finger Print Sensing

It ought to use something that has a wavelength less than the distance between two groves of a fingerprint.

Reactions: 3wais

3wais

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Can you be more specific ??

do you mean generating a wave with wavelength less than the groves then recieving it back ?
how can this be done ?

In other words, you better build a chip fab or buy a capacitor matrix ;)
(and integrated op-amp for each point, and read out arrangement to add to the pain)

Other than that some kind of scanner may solve it. Be it ultrasonic, laser scan etc..
Though the capacitive approach resist dirt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3wais

3wais

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

See this :

Cop’s homemade fingerprint scanner

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

---------- Post added at 04:44 ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 ----------

Ultrasonic scanners have the ability to scan beneath the skin. This gives the scanner the ability to verify that there is a live person present. These provide a high level of security, but are slower than others.

Capacitive scanners are more resistant to contamination by dirt and debris than other scanners. They are also more susceptible to interference by static electricity

Optical scanners often include an LED light that is used to illuminate the fingerprint. The sensors use this light to scan the fingerprint. Its dependency on light, though, makes it susceptible to interference from ambient light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back