Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minimalist Altera Cyclone eval board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didier9

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was looking for the minimum requirements to operate an Altera Cyclone EP1C3T100 and came across this old thread
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/132812/
which had no reply.

I have the same problem here. I have breadboarded an EP1C3T100 the best I could, with the 3.3V, 1.5V and ground going to what I believe are the right places based on the Altera data sheet (I will post a schematic later), an oscillator, no configuration device at the moment, just the config pins set to fixed levels so that the chip *should* be idle (not trying to configure itself).
The chip is drawing over 100mA on the 1.5V and that seems excessive. The Altera FAE said it should be more like 30mA.

I need help in the form of a minimum schematic to bring the chip us with the JTAG and an LED (blinky).

Ant recommendation appreciated. I will try to draw a clean schematic of what I have later today and post it.

TIA

Didier

I can't speak for Altera parts, but one possibility is that unused pins are configured as (digital) inputs, and if these are left floating they can consume a lot of current. There may be a pin that pulls up unused pins (on Xilinx FPGAs it's HSWAPEN). Alternatively, you could load a configuration file that configures pull-ups or sets the unused pins to outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.