Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Chopping of rectified dc voltage using IGBT ct60 am 18b

Status
Not open for further replies.

patter

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For my project which is speed control of a wound rotor induction motor(or slip ring induction motor) i am using ct60am 18b igbt for the chopper part... the problem i am facing i was successful in getting a rectified output from the rotor side using power diodes and LC filter circuit... but wen it came to chopping using the igbt i cannot get the required output.... i was able to trigger the igbt alone for testing it. in the main circuit, the microcontroller (ATMEGA 32k) output is given to the base of igbt. since the output from the micro is only less than 5v i connected an optocoupler (moc8102) to d micro output n gave opto output to igbt...i was successful only in triggerring the igbt but the with the increase in voltage the output across the load connected to igbt never increased..... i was told gate current required by igbt is more and not provided by opto....0i have no clue what to do..... i am stuck ryt now.... PLease tell me what to do.... I have to chop the rectified dc output according to microcontroller output so as to maintain the speed of the motor irrespective of the load.... NEED help badly......

Obvious you need to use driver circuits in between MOC8102 optocoupler and the IGBT transistor.
You may change the MOC8102 optocoupler with a dedicated isolated driver, see for example
Vishay VO3120
https://www.vishay.com/docs/81314/vo3120.pdf
https://www.vishay.com/docs/81227/81227.pdf
HCPL-3120:
**broken link removed**
Avago ACPL-38JT:

There can be more solutions using integrated circuits
TC4424:
**broken link removed**
TC4421/TC4422:
**broken link removed**

or discrete components

Attachments

• Bipolar driver.gif
    Bipolar driver.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: patter

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

patter

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanx alot!!! That filled the gap in the project... let me see how it goes..... i will post the details about my project and would like ur suggestions regarding it...

Well... i tried with the optocoupler as u said and i was successful in triggering the igbt accordin to the output from micro.... but wen the chopper circuit was connected to the motor another problem stood up... The motor startd rotating without the gate pulses which is not supposed to happen... after consulting with professors i removed the filter part of my circuit and removed the collector and emitter and connected just the gate of igbt but didnot apply the gate pulses and gave a 3phase supply and the motor didnot run which was right.... but when the collector and gate was removed and only emitter was connected and when the 3phase supply was given the motor started to rotate at 250v and that is supposed to happen... i tried changing the igbt(ct60 am 18b) and replaced with a mosfet (irf250n)... but the same result....please give me a solution ASAP in how to prevent the motor from rotating or if anything wrong in the connection i did.... so ryt nw in my circuit... a 3phase motor , rectifier, chopper circuit, the controller... theses are the main parts....

Can you provide a project diagram you are using now?

the first image represents the circuit diagram... but later few additional transistors were connected in the circuit which is shown in the second diagram......

Try this way:

Attachments

• 68_1335432826.png
    68_1335432826.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 86

Thanx alot!!! I will try it out and let u know the results.....

Status
Not open for further replies.