Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Tachometer VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

tachometer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have this project where I have to design a tachometer using VHDL. The thing is I m pretty new to the field of electronic projects and I m very new to VHDL.
The project asks me to count the Rotations/per Minute from a motor.
It has to be in the range 19-98 RPM, the measurement time is 1.1s, and the display resolution is 0.1 .

The good part is that I dont have to create a system to get this rotations, they are given to me thru a generator. I just have to count the pulses and display the result.
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/blockvk.jpg
So, I tought I'll use an AND gate with the signal from the general as one input and the clock divided so I'll obtain the period of 1.1s .
https://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/clockbg.jpg/

What I have to do next is when i press a button it will count the pulses for 1.1s and then display the result. [During counting the display will be OFF].

Sorry for the long post but the first problem resumes to this. How do i design a clock divider so I can get a period of 1.1s.
I have a basic clock divider code where i count the rising edges and then i change the state of clock. But how many edges i have to count?

Code:
ENTITY CLKDIV IS
PORT(
CLK: IN STD_LOGIC;
CLKOUT: OUT STD_LOGIC
);
END CLKDIV;

ARCHITECTURE DIV OF CLKDIV IS
BEGIN
PROCESS (CLK)
VARIABLE COUNT: INTEGER RANGE 0 TO ????  :=0;
VARIABLE STATE: STD_LOGIC := '1'; 
BEGIN
IF(RISING_EDGE (CLK)) THEN 
 IF(COUNT=  )THEN
COUNT:=0;
STATE:= '1';
ELSE
COUNT := COUNT+1;
END IF;
 IF(COUNT=)
STATE:= NOT STATE;
END IF;
END IF;
CLKOUT <= STATE; 
END PROCESS;
END DIV;

dont do clock dividers with logic. you should make clock enables instead. Logic generated clocks are prone to timing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.