Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is ground bouncing and and how to eliminate it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rudenia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ground bouncing

hi ,what is ground bouncing and it could be eleminate?

Re: Ground bouncing

It is when there is an inductance from the ground pin on the IC to a point that is the common ground for the whole system or circuit. When the IC switches, current flows through this impedance and makes the ground reference of the circuitry inside the IC become higher potential than the reference for the outside world.

The cure is to make this inductance very small by putting the ground pin to the PC ground plane layer with the minimum length of trace to the via and making the trace wide and the via a large diameter.

This causes other problems, like reducing the routing options, on the PC board and so a compromise with the trace and via widths is made.

Ground bouncing

can any one explain about the concept of virtual pin based Routing

A virtual pin is simply a balance point between the pins of a net. It is not a real pin, and may not even be a drilled via when the routing task is complete but is merely a location to hold the place of branching interconnect points. Therefore, you use a virtual pin as a terminal to define a fromto tree so that delay, length, width, and clearance rules may be set to control impedance and minimize skew.

In my opinion, the ground bouncing mainly aroused by the inductor between the Power and Gnd. So it is necessary to lower the inductance of the power plane and ground plane. The best method is to shorten the length of power trace and ground trace.

Ground Bouncing is caused by the unwanted inductance in the lead of the ground. So, we can focus on the PCB layout on the ground pins.

How I can reduce the EMC,EMI, ESD of the PCB .
what are the main parameters i have to take care for the same.

binu g

Good layout, good mechanism and good component can reduce EMI problem.

Ground bouncing

learn high-speed digital design

Hi,

I recommend reading Bogatin's introduction artivle about ground bounce:
**broken link removed**

A real world design example you can find at:
**broken link removed**

Regards,
Itai

Status
Not open for further replies.