Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Differences between ERP and EIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubdawg

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am curious on what ERP is, I understand EIRP and have done searches for ERP with no avail. FOr the application I am working on the specification states "Allowed harmonic ERP (dBm)=-18.2"

I have measured harmonics before using a Spectrum analyzer , is this the same testing that is asked or am I misinterupting this, thanks.

Re: ERP and EIRP

sometimes they are the same thing

ERP and EIRP

What is the ERP and EIRP stands for?
"I" => Isotopic, no "I" refers to standard dipole. But I can't remember how much gain that dipole has over the isotopic one.

hi,

I stands for isotropic. it means that the antenna lenght is very very small in respect to the wavelenght.
Imagine it as a radiating point: radiation is the same in any direction.

hope it helps

Hi,nice topic for me :twisted:

Yes, ERP stands for standard dipole, it's directivity is say 2.15 dBi (reference to isotropic radiation source)

The value of EIRP looks higher than ERP even though they represent the same thing. So engineer uses EIRP more than ERP.

ERP and EIRP

It is just a preference since a lot standards and engineers have chosen one or the other way. The relation is fixed, about 2.1 dB

rubdawg said:
Hi, I am curious on what ERP is, I understand EIRP and have done searches for ERP with no avail. FOr the application I am working on the specification states "Allowed harmonic ERP (dBm)=-18.2"

I have measured harmonics before using a Spectrum analyzer , is this the same testing that is asked or am I misinterupting this, thanks.

Possibly this may help somewhat dealing with satellite communication literature to be a reference.

djalli!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back