Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed on basic Verilog coding--"for looping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renjie

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm trying to test a 5*5 multiplier; and the two inputs are required to cover all possibilities. So I use two for looping like this:

module tb_mult5x5();
reg [4:0] InA=0, InB=0;
wire [9:0] Product;
integer clk,fp;

mult5x5 mult(InA,InB, Product);

initial begin
for(InA=0;InA<=5'b11111;InA=InA+1)begin

for(InB=0;InB<=5'b11111;InB=InB+1)begin

#1; end
end
#5;
$stop;
end

After simulation, I notice the InA was stuck at 0 and InB goes from 0 to 11111 again and again, obviously the processing can't jump out from the second for looping.

Can anyone figure out what's going wrong here?

Thanks!

Dude there is no clock !!!

put the clock like this

initial
clk <= 1'b0;

always
#5 clk = ~clk;

Then try this code.

I think the problem is not in the clk signal... because you dont need it to simulate a pure combinational multiplier...
The loop never stops because the condition is always true. Let's see.... InA = 11110, 11111, 00000, 00001.. and again, and again.... :-D (the same things actual for InB loop)
To solve the infinite looping you need to extend InA and InB with one more bit and send to your multiplier only InA[4:0] and InB[4:0].

Good luck!

You can also debug this in the waveform viewer of the tool that you are simulating with.
If this does not help,let me know

Can you explain in detail, how did you solve it and what was the exact problem so that we all benefit.

Thanks

sure, just like exactly Alosevskoy pointed out, the InB is 5 bit; however in the for looping, the boundary condition is InB <= 11111, it will always be true. That's why it won't get out of the loop. Simply we just change the bit of InB, then it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back