Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIFO Hardware Buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zia.newversion

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there...
I have to use a hardware buffer in an embedded application... The buffer must be FIFO and >64kB...
The data comes on a serial link at TTL level. Obviously, the buffer must store the data byte-by-byte and the on-board data handler then picks it up from the buffer on FIFO basis. It's worth mentioning that a software buffer is not feasible in this system. The buffer must be OUT of the main processor.

So, I was thinking maybe I can implement a buffer by using another smaller, cheaper, microcontroller with a shared memory... The controller would receive data just as in RS232 line and then upload it to the shared memory chip, from where the on-board data handler (the main processor) can download bytes as needed. But that looks like a cheap technique, and of course increases cost, although not by much.

However, the actual question that I want to ask is, are there some hardware buffers as in IC's with all that I want to implement through uC hardcoded into them, so they would serve the purpose of a FIFO buffer? Something like multiple (more than 64k 8-bit) shift registers or something like that? I'm sure there must be something like that. Please discuss. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back