Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8x8 LED matrix data sheet or conection daigram ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravity123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello friends
I bought an LED matrix 8x8 (3nm)
But i don't know how the diagrams !!!!
Please help me the connection (Rows and Columns Connection )

please see the images
19122011073.jpg19122011077.jpg19122011080.jpg

can you show more information what you need? And now my job is design the led matrix drivre card,:cool:

Your 8x8 LED matrix has 8x8 pins.... So its simple to connect..... Just follow the matrix rule.
E.g= to light the 2x4 th LED, supply voltage via 2nd and 4th pins.
But current should be low as 50mA (approx.)

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Your 8x8 LED matrix has 8x8 pins.... So its simple to connect..... Just follow the matrix rule.
E.g= to light the 2x4 th LED, supply voltage via 2nd and 4th pins.
But current should be low as 50mA (approx.)

i think its circuit connection is different way because of i given the supply (checked with multimeter) but the row and columns is discorded not orderly
cant find yet ?
its side has a number as follows VT12088BS

Please help me thanks

In post #2 attached datasheet has common cathode matrix
here is common anode matrix version......
**broken link removed**

with code VT12088BS , nothing found....

You should find out the wiring by measuring.

Last edited:

Checkout this. Had the same problem, done trial and error as one friend suggested. Hope this will help. :cool:

led matrix layout.jpg

I have another LED Matrix has 12x12 pin.
can you tell me how can i find connect this to a pic.

if it is White LED, check for 3V drop with ohm meter Anode is the +side.
The call them either Cathode Row or Anode Row.

If "Cathode Row" then drive Cathodes with low side drivers and Anode Columns with high side driver.
If "Anode Row" then drive Anode Rows with high side driver and Cathode Columns with low side driver.

But in 12x12 or 8x8 what's the difference, just rotate the display and make sure you drive with the right polarity. Peak current = N x average for an Array N size.

with code VT12088BS , nothing found....

I had the exact same problem, bought 6 of these in India and the datasheet just isn't available. I was able to decode it and understand which pin did what using a multimeter. But I need the dimensions since I'm thinking of designing a PCB now. So, after a lot of searching searching and ... uh ... searching, I finally found a compatible datasheet here. I've checked the pins and it matches perfectly. Just remember to hold the side where it says VT12088BS to the right and count the pins from the left, the same way you would an IC.

The link to the actual part on adafruit is over here.

i just got an 8x8, part# 1588BS-H4, same thing...

similar product:
https://www.lc-led.com/products/lc2088tur1a.html

im trying to achieve this, https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/DirectDriveLEDMatrix
ive had to work out my matrix, and figured its reverse polarity to the 2 referenced in this thread...

oh great, the project shows a Diecimila Arduino, which looks almost the same as my UNO v3,
yet it references pins in the code that arent on the board :/
that whole article is appearing to be very misleading..
ive found that im going to have to use the 74HC595 to give me more digital outputs
back to class for me :/

maybe not, multiplexing should overcome the lack of pins...

Last edited:

just check all pins by providing them voltage and then sold a 8pin connector in the way you want to light leds

Your parallel pixel switches must drive 10 to 80mA without change in voltage to maintain constant brightness.
image.jpg
Your column current switches need to sink 10mA by correct voltage drop over current sense R.

these row/col may be reversed as long as Anode stays positive. ... i.e. Sink Cathodes with NPN Switch and SOurce Anodes with 10mA current limiting Resistors or drivers with builtin Resistance (Rce or Rds) at tuned supply voltage. Or use shift register with built in current sink from Avago reference design.

The Red,Amber,Green Leds may vary from batch to batch 2V+/-0.4 and ,Blue 3.6+/-0.4.

Plan on best low VceSat column switch transistors you can buy from Diodes Incorporated <DK or Mouser>.

Use diode test on DMM to confirm pixel positions with dim 1mA or so test and color vs voltage in mV , note above tolerance.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.