Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Oscillator Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qube

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HI, i Just wanted to understand this circuit better and discuss with people

So here it is a ,crystal oscillator...
TAG.gif

It uses a 3.5Mhz Crystal... and takes feedback from emitter of the transistor ,using a Capacitive Voltage divider...
And it has 50pF Variable cap,i think it is to tune the frequency of the oscillator,am i right??

my another doubt is there are 2 capacitors 270pF and 150pF,do u think that will add up to the frequency ???
Please correct me ,if i am wrong and also explain it's working in brief for my better understanding

"my another doubt is there are 2 capacitors 270pF and 150pF,do u think that will add up to the frequency ???" They will have a very small (+-10HZ) effect on the frequency but a huge effect on the output level and if the oscillator will oscillate at all.
Frank

On your schematic, the Colpitts-type oscillator is shown. The capacitors between transistor base and ground are calculated for a coil in place of the quartz crystal. The L1 in collector is tuned by 250 pF variable capacitor to resonate at 3.56 MHz for a good oscillation. Fine tuning can be done with 50 pF VXO in series with the quartz.

Find a textbook on the basics of RF electronics to learn how oscillators function, and try to make experiments. Try ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook, you can find a lot of good stuff, and well explained.

Status
Not open for further replies.