Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I create a irregular component footprint using PADS2005?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwuf

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all:

How can I create a irregular component footprint using PADS2005?
As the attached picture shown. for the rubber key, how to create its footprint?

Thank you,
David Wuf

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Add image link:

https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/17_1321926261.jpg

Best way to create RF parts or other such irregular parts is to create the drawing in tools such as AutoCAD. Because they are more accurate than directly adding 2D lines in PADS. After creating the drawing in AutoCAD save the file in DXF format. And import the DXF format file in library editor of PADS. By default this drawing will be imported in the Drill layer of the stack and will be imported as a 2D line. Select the shape in library editor and change the type to Copper and push the shape to TOP layer and save as library part. You can also import the DXF directly to PCB editor also. The process will remain the same.

Hi CKS,

Thank you so much for reply,
That means I have to create a drawing using autoCAD, then save as a file with "dxf" format.
afterwards import this 'dxf' file to PADS, I will try and see if it work.

Thanks again,

Best Regards,
David Wuf

That's correct David. Though you can directly draw the shape in PADS using 2D lines, AutoCAD is a better approach because you have better control over creating irregular shapes with accuracy there.

In fact there is one more option. I can see this shape is opened in CAM350. meaning you already have this shape in Gerber. So, import the Gerber into PADS using the CAM tool (there is a CAM option in PADS). And from there try selecting the shape and save it as a 2D drawing. And from there you can convert this int a library shape.

Please note that I have not personally tried importing the symbol from Gerber so far. But logically I feel this should be possible. You may give a try with this approach before starting on AutoCAD :)

Yes David, you can try as per cks3976. I commonly use autocad for complex/Irregular shapes for more accuracy in the board outlines and save it as .dxf and later import.

However, I'm not sure if a CAM350 gerber can be edited!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back