Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost 1v to 5v with over 500ma current?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstefanop

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for a Boost IC or even non IC solution that can relatively efficiently boost a 1.1v power source to 5v, and that can do this with over 500ma of output current.

Most IC's I've looked at can only output a small amount of current at only 1v input (usually 100-200ma).

The power source can output around 8 amps at 1.1v so I can theoretically get around 1.5 amps output when boosted up to 5v output. I won't need all of that but would at least like to utilize around 500ma.

You're probably going to need to find a controller that can operate at that low of a voltage and drives an external switch. Linear technologies has some good options probably, and their LTspice can also be helpful to test the range of the IC. Maybe something like this one...
LT3759 - Wide Input Voltage Range Boost/SEPIC/Inverting Controller - Linear Technology
Though you'll probably need some type of charge pump boost controller to power the IC if it can't run down to that low of a voltage.

Another option would be to try for a digital solution using a uPower uController. Not sure how available MOSFET drivers are operating at that low a voltage. You'll probably again need a charge pump converter.

What's the application?

Status
Not open for further replies.