Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wireless Earphones for a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thudpucker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
You guys are all way over my head in this stuff.

I once had a Wireless head set for the TV. I think it was Infra-red.
It was a pain thought.

I wonder now, if there is such a thing as Wireless Headset for the PC?

I have a Dell Inspironone. with the small .3 mm Stereo plug.

I'm curious because I'm up so late and the wife is sleeping and I like my music while I work.
Dick

My wireless headphones are Acoustic Research AW721C.

The base unit sends out a cable terminating with a 1/8 inch stereo phone plug. This will work with a typical computer.

An adapter cable was included, terminating in two phono plugs.

If I have this correct, your base unit is connected to the PC through the cable with the small stereo plug.

Then the Base unit broadcasts to the Head set through the air. Not through a Cable?

Can you walk around the room with the headsets on and still hear the music from the PC?

If I have this correct, your base unit is connected to the PC through the cable with the small stereo plug.

Then the Base unit broadcasts to the Head set through the air. Not through a Cable?

Can you walk around the room with the headsets on and still hear the music from the PC?

Yes, it works by radio transmission not infrared. I can walk four rooms away and still get sound in the headphones.

The sound is stereo. Bass is strong. Sound quality compares to wired headphones.

The headphones use two AAA rechargeable batteries. They recharge when you set the headphones on the base unit.

The base unit is powered by a 9V wall wart.

Drawbacks are few. There are occasional brief moments of static.

The original sound from the computer/tv/receiver cannot be too soft, since it is not amplified very much by either the base unit nor the headphones.

Found this lens on **broken link removed** :)

Found this lens on **broken link removed** :)

Thanks Happy.
I'm still stuck with the time changes and visitors and my sleep cycles.
Maybe I'll get the Grossly normal folks who want to sleep at night, to chip in for a good headset.:p

I sure thank you guys for keeping me in mind. My health died and I'm not nearly so active as I 'wunct wuz' :|

I heard about wireless headphone but I am curious about my sound quality, I think wired headphone's sound are much better than wireless headphones.

I heard about wireless headphone but I am curious about my sound quality, I think wired headphone's sound are much better than wireless headphones.

I think you're right.

With wireless there is the greater chance of hiss and static and interference. More adjustments to make for satisfactory sound.

An amplifier powered by 2.5V (two AAA batteries).

It becomes a question whether the freedom from wires is more important.

I never had wireless headphones until these, because they were bargain priced, and because my good-quality wired ones have been acting up. I'd rather have a better set.

Here's some that got good reviews:

https://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-headphones

You guys are all way over my head in this stuff.

I once had a Wireless head set for the TV. I think it was Infra-red.
It was a pain thought.

I wonder now, if there is such a thing as Wireless Headset for the PC?

I have a Dell Inspironone. with the small .3 mm Stereo plug.

I'm curious because I'm up so late and the wife is sleeping and I like my music while I work.
Dick

Wireless headsets for TV usually use infra-red. This is because its easier/ cheaper/ better to use IR since its a TV !! And you are going to be in the same room facing the TV anyway..... yes ?

However there ARE lots of wireless headphones which use radio. They work on FM, usually just below the 'normal' FM band frequency. FM is typically free from hiss/ static by nature, so if you have one of these and are still getting hiss/ static, then it's probably because you are either far away & on the threshold of the signal (hiss), or there's a loose connection someplace in the chain (static), OR your receive frequency is not matching the Tx frequency very well (hiss and static)

The cheaper versions do not have a precision frequency control, and skimp a bit on the circuitry, so you might need to just upgrade to a better model for better sound quality.
Of course the eventual sound quality ALSO depends on the actual headset speakers & construction. Good bass requires a more "capable" power source.... make sure your batteries are good ! Adding a largish cap across the battery has been known to help sometimes.

I just noticed .. some of these rf headphones work on very high frequencies ... like 900Mhz. Well, at that frequency of COURSE you will have attenuation due to building structures (like the wall in your house), and be prone to interference from cordless & similar other devices !! My suggestion - go for a headphone which gives you the Wireless feature AND has an FM radio built in. But a slightly higher quality model than rock-bottom-price. It'll work fine.

cheers!

Last edited:

Has anyone considered wireless speakers as well? They use bluetooth technology and if you would rather broadcast what your listening to, rather than listen privately with headphones, they are awesome. If you're worried about price you can consider searching online deals sites. Not sure if anyone uses electronics deals sites, but you can save on accessories, if you want to get both wireless headphones, regular headphones and speakers until sold out. The wireless speakers are obviously better used with a phone or music player with wifi, but there are also other alternatives.

Here's my take; I need wireless earphones on TV, and I really dont miss it not being stereo. I just expect a decent sound reception.

Problem with dedicated units is that they need a proprietary receiver to be matched with a transmitter. The batteries on the receiver often die before the program you're watching gets over. And so on..

What I did was make a simple FM transmitter (dozens of circuits on the web), and now I can use my cell phone (or any device with an FM receiver, like an MP3 player) as a wireless headphone. And trust me, if the FM radio is all that is running on your device (mine is an Android) the battery drain is negligible.

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

You guys are a boon to an old idiot.
I'd like the speakers idea pretty good.
Two speakers in a box. I could sit it on the back of my easy chair or above my head as I lay on the couch. (draining a blood clot)
I never liked head phones for fear of losing my hearing.
I like the idea of the speakers responding to a home made FM transmitter.
Great idea, many thanks.

I think you're right.

With wireless there is the greater chance of hiss and static and interference. More adjustments to make for satisfactory sound.

An amplifier powered by 2.5V (two AAA batteries).

It becomes a question whether the freedom from wires is more important.

I never had wireless headphones until these, because they were bargain priced, and because my good-quality wired ones have been acting up. I'd rather have a better set.

Here's some that got good reviews:

https://www.consumersearch.com/wireless-headphones

Thanks for sharing these valuable reviews, I know that Sennheiser is world class company for headphones so wireless headphones will be a good choice, thanks buddy.

Hi,
The Logitech Wireless Headphones for PC sound great, but some users may balk at their relatively short range and the lack of an integrated

**broken link removed**

TestCorp provides ELECTRICAL TEST TAGGING, EMERGENCY EXIT LIGHT TESTING and FIRE EXTINGUISHER TESTING for South Australian businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.