Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

some pic18f14k50 usb questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

In2Dusk

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am planning to use pic18f14k50 for usb communication with PC, and i am not quite sure about some things:

1. Do I have to use power from computer (D+,D- pins)? Because i want to power the chip with 3.3V from battery and leave D+ and D- unconnected.

2. If I power it from computer is the voltage converted to 3.3V internaly by the chip or is the chip directly powered from usb?

3. Can I communicate throught usb and uart simultaneosly?

1) D+ and D- are the differential USB DATA pins. You'll need those ;-)

2) The 14K50 data sheet wil have all the info you need in regards to wiring up the power for USB

3) Yes, depending on your board and other aspects of your design

r.b.

oh i got mistake there in question number 1 should be this:

Do I have to use power from computer? Because i want to power the chip with 3.3V from battery and leave Vusb unconnected.

No, you do not have to use power from the computer, but you cannot leave Vusb unconnected.

Again, refer to the datasheet. There are many power options described in there.

r.b.

Microchip makes a USB-UART converter MCP2200 that is thought to be a PIC18F14K50. If you look at the diagram for the demo board of this, you will see that the controller is powered directly from the USB 5VDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.