Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Diy serial Cable with cheap phone cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it works, my computer do not have serial port so i'm using such cables without any problem with ARM controller, GPS, GSM module, AVRs and PIC too.

Nokia DKU-5(or cheap equivalent) datacabe has PL2303 as USB to serial converter. it is easily hackable. the TTL output can be any voltage level. see datasheet.
Dku5.JPG

I also came across a chinese made datacable for nokia which has COB (chip on board) but pcb pads were clearly marked for Tx,Rx, DCD etc. it works fine too.

Attachments

• PL2303 1.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 85

I don't see a reason to trouble yourself with this kind of modification, you can find ready USB to 232 cables in ebay starting from US $1.5

usb-232.jpg

Alex

But here in our country , its difficult to get these things by ebay , due to shipping as well as customs duty

Your linked article was for a modification of an item bought from interner
Several good, inexpensive, purpose-built USB to serial modules are now available on eBay for around five to six dollars. Just search for PL2303 or CP2102.

Furthermore I can't imagine that they will charge you for an item that costs us $2 (and even if they do how much can it cost).
Did you ever order a low value item, did they charge you at the customs and how much?

Alex

P.S. the value I mention includes shipping

No, i didn't ordered a lower valued item

You can buy USB to serial TTL cables that already have the lines broken out to individual female headers.
usb_ttl_cable.jpg

I like these USB to serial TTL modules for breadboarding. They have more serial signal lines and a 3.3V supply.
usb_ttl_module.jpg

Of course, if you can't buy from eBay you might have to find a Nokia cable locally and modify it.
Dealextreme has Nokia cables and at least one USB to serial TTL module.
Some Nokia cables require you to supply it with 3.3V which can make them a real pain to hack.
Also note that, USB to serial RS232 cables are not the same as USB to serial TTL cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.