Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this battery is suitable for inverter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In few words,...

Of course there is no lithium battery at such capacity or very very expensive and this battery is very dangerous. We talking about lead acid chemistry batteries (deep cycle and starter), both ok to use in solar systems with inverters.

Always read factory and manufacturer guide and respect given data parameters for that battery.

Lead Acid is cheap but not so efficient as lithium batteries. They have capacity based on 20h or 10h discharging time.

Deep Cycle have very thin lead plate, and are not for starting high current, plate will be banded.
Deep Cycle can be discharged completely unlike the starter batteries. They are lots expensive.

Starter batteries have higher starting amperes (starting car, truck,..) but they are not designed for long-term disharching like deep bat. When battery goes to 11.9V you complete empty bat and degrade bat capacity. If You go to 10,5V battery is destroyed. Battery is good for float usage about 80-90% of level (10-20% amperhour usage, if You go below more sulfatisation, and shorten life). Cheapest battery.

Based on that You can use lots of starter battery in bank and connect inteligent charger with inverter. Good is in system if bank stay at 80-90% charge level not below.

Also use desulfatisator.

I hope within 2~3 days I will upload the circuit. It is scanned only needs some makeup.

Additional, always look to decrease amperage in system if possible, that means 12V system not good for power over 150W. At 150W You have 150W/12V=12,5A and for 300W You have 300W/12V=25A, this is lots for standard card lead acid battery 55Ah 72Ah, this means You should use 100Ah and bigger 180Ah.

Some people wants 500W from 55Ah at 12V, this is lots for that battery, and will destroy battery (44A for longer discharge if there spirit of life in cells). For 500W go to 24V system or 48V.

Capacity of battery are based on 10h or 20h discharge time. 55Ah lead acid battery 55Ah/44A=1,5h this is theoreticaly one hour but in practice You will get much lower timer about 15min, because this is not in manufacturer advice for 10h or 20h discharge time for garanted capacity.

Always use Lead Acid batteries in very well ventilated room. Only Lead Acid with glass and gell may used in room and will not harm, but very expensive specially bigger capacity of battery, and they have up to 5 years life.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

I have old Bosch S3 car batery (starter) 55Ah made in 1999 year. Not full capacity but have about 50%-60%. Can start car, but not good if outdoor temp is under zero capacity will drastically decrease. (Of course I change bat in car with new, and this S3 goes to basement for resting).
I use desulfatisator on this battery very often, and I turn out battery from car at winter (very cold days -10C -18C )and put to charge in basement at 22C-23C.

Also I made battery AC tester of internal resistance. Its very usefull.

Last edited:

I do not know about this board available in the market. There is kit also available in the market which is claimed to be able to control the current, I was once in emergency and tried to use it and I was much dishearted with performance and sine then never tried, as it did not work.

I do not know about this board available in the market. There is kit also available in the market which is claimed to be able to control the current, I was once in emergency and tried to use it and I was much dishearted with performance and sine then never tried, as it did not work.

Sorry I dont know what board?

My opinion:
1. You have two choices to make inverter or buy new finalized in market. If You make I suppose it will have big and heavy trafo (50Hz). Torus trafo price in my country for 300W is (NEW) 33eur, and this trafo have weight 2,5kg.
2. If You buy in market, its much much lighter (switcher smaller trafo at about 25KHz). Price for 500W is about 30-40eur.

For fine devices must be pure sinewave. Not problem to do with uC if DIY variant.
Square wave on trafo and motors not so good solution, will perform more heating.

Also pay attention to current without load for 300W-500W is 0,3A - 0,8A for 1000W and up may be 1A and up.

Good solution is inverter with charger together.

Last edited:

I will post the complete circuit soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.