Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Class A and Class AB OpAmps

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryssw

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Class A vs Class AB

I have some doublt on the use of Class A or AB opamps (in switched-cap applications). As Class A have high standby power (and high slew rate requirements), why don't all opamps designed as Class AB opamps which has very low standy by current and large slew rate provided? Thanks for every comments in advance.

Re: Class A vs Class AB

I think the major issue with class AB is design complexity and nonlinearity.

Class A is lower THD.

hi
well, there are some tradeoff you need to consider. that's why some ppl use class a, the others use ab

I have also heard that Class AB produce lesser THD than Class A because Class AB can increase the output current that charge large capacitve loads, while Class-A is slew rate limited and thus causing harmonic distortion. Is this true or not?

One of the most important issues of class AB OPAMPS are bad input matching of the opamp which requires large devices and therefor a little lower speed.
another issue is design complexity; since it is nonlinear, its design flow, is more or less empirical which means a lot of tray and error!

as I know nonlinearity behevior of them is not important in Switched Capacitor Ckts but is important in Contious signal processing Ckts like GmC filters.

BEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.