Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensitive-Gate Triac or Non-Sensitive-Gate Triac whic one is better for mcu dimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d@nny

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sensitive-Gate Triac or Non-Sensitive-Gate Triac whic one is better for mcu dimmer?
i dont know which oone is better for fan dimmer and what is meant by sensitive and non sensitive?

Because the current demand must be minimised in many uC applications, it is necessary to use Sensitive-Gate Triacs.

but micro is only operating the opto-coupler moc-3021

If you can use opto-coupler then that's not problem to use sensitive or non-sensitive triac (i think)
you can use opto-triac instead of opto coupler and triac if you no need to high power management.

If you use sensitive-gate triacs, you will require less current to turn them on. Non-sensitive-gate triacs require more current but offer much better dV/dT values. However, since you're using an opto-coupler/opto-triac, then gate drive current isn't that big an issue, so I would recommend that you use non-sensitive-gate triacs.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.