Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do you distinguish a regular diode, a zener diode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanov

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
0.6v zener diode forward bias 1n4001

How do you distinguish a regular diode, a zener diode or for the matter of fact a schottky diode just using the resistance? I know there is a trick for this I sawear I read it somewhere.

They are have inscription 1N4 on top and number 723, 733 on them. I have at least 50 of those and all are zener and regular diodes for sure.

thanks

zener 4001 diode 50v datasheet

zanov said:
How do you distinguish a regular diode, a zener diode or for the matter of fact a schottky diode just using the resistance? I know there is a trick for this I sawear I read it somewhere.

They are have inscription 1N4 on top and number 723, 733 on them. I have at least 50 of those and all are zener and regular diodes for sure.

thanks

just reverse bias it, zeners then have, say, a fix 6V voltage, diodes dont. thats it

marti

what is a regular diode

More details. When you do the reverse and forward bias test use a current limiting resistor. Schottkys will have 0.3 V forward and silicon is more like 0.6 V.

diode or zener diode distinguishing

Do a search on the net for the part numbers... Or enter them in digikey web site.

Some zener have much higher reverse voltage, so they could be mistaken if testing reverse voltage without knowing their rating.

Ex: 1N4733 (is a zener, 5.1V).

regular diode

Big Boy said:
Do a search on the net for the part numbers... Or enter them in digikey web site.

Some zener have much higher reverse voltage, so they could be mistaken if testing reverse voltage without knowing their rating.

Ex: 1N4733 (is a zener, 5.1V).

That is the problem: They all say 1N4, etc. I have one says 1N the after 4001, resistance is 4.5Mohm if forward, then infinit reversebly measured.

I can not measure it in live circuit resistance because it will blow the fuse of multitester.

mamali's and flatulent are very useful.

I am going to test the rectification first, for the zeners I can measure them just as we do in unregulated power supply.

Something else more came to me with this Pandora box of un-named 150 diodes: 20 of them are Shockey's. I need a Curve Tracer. So important now.

thank you guys.

zener diode trick

You can't distinguish them from resistance alone. Resistance is a linear value and diodes are one of the very first non-linear devices mentioned.

Impedance is another story, I have no ideal about that.

I do not believe that it is possible to tell by resistance alone. By far the best way is to read the identification on the component and refer to a eqivelents referance. All other tests are a little hit and miss.

Barrybear

Just take the two parts.

For example, you have 1N and 4001. There's not enough room on a diode to print the whole part number on one line si the manufacturer split them across multiple lines.

So, the above really is 1N4001. Most diodes do start with 1N. Like many transistors start with 2N.

You can not test with resistance.

If you have a component replacement book (like the ECG or the NTE), it become much easier too.

For example, if you go to digikey web site, you punc-in 1N4001, you get many results (depending on which package the diode is made), but all come to:

RECTIFIER 1AMP 50V

This meen a regular diode, 1Amp, with reverse-voltage 50V. Note that reverse voltage rating does not meen that this is a zener, and must not be used as such.

You can click on the link on the left of the description, and on technical/catalog information link, and there, you can get datasheet too :)

How much an IV curve tracer costs? Looks like that is the only option and I see how important is to have this kind of equipment.

zener diodes are very simple ..This is a high school topic ..
is just a simple courbe that expalins the behavior os it
Is a diode that conducts in both ways .. The zenner Voltage is the voltage necessary to conduct reverse biased . it can be very low as 1.5V or very high as 30v or more but is necessary to protect the rush of current once the zenner voltage is achieved .so a zener diode is always protected by a resistor .Otherwise you will damage it .
The use is a voltage regulator .. The zenner voltage provides the reference for an amount of current . If more curent is needed then you use the combination zener + resistor and a power transistor . This is the basic power regulated POWER SUPPLY ..!

heres a couple lists of zener 's and most other diodes,it may help you sort out your mess.

this is an article on building a zener diode tester

just check out the reverse bias condition which directly tell u that which one is zener and which one is not .....

goood luck ....

Usually in the reverse bias the ordinary diode experiences sudden break down but the zenar diode have a constant voltage of approx 6.9 volts so u can easily identify bet them

Status
Not open for further replies.