Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify green toroid cores in common-mode chokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubrilo

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've seen green toroid cores for common-mode chokes in few power supplies from different manufacturers. Can somebody please write the manufacturer?

Regards

Has anybody here seen real power supply?

Measured relative permeability (mu) is about 2700.

Attachments

• IMG_3790.jpg
    IMG_3790.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 114

I don't have any specifics for you, but while you're waiting
I recommend you try chasing through vendor web sites for
switching power supplies, for app notes and reference
designs on EMI/EMC. These may have BOMs or part detail
for the input filter components and maybe that's the start
of the trail.

Thank you, it's a good advice, however the trouble is that AN authors usually don't bother much about this, they buy some off-the-shelf choke and state the part number and the manufacturer. I'll keep trying.

Hi,
I have seen some other colors too like Yellow but there is no specific link between the color type of material. If you can extend your efforts a bit just measure a known material's permeability and then compare with this one for the same inductance. As I could conclude is that this paint is just to give an extra shortening feature to the wire used for winding.
Could not fine any particular datasheet about the color identified cores.

I know at least micrometals use colors to identify the core material, with no other markings, but I don't believe they make any cores that are completely green. If the permeability is that high it must be a ferrite or tape wound core. I'd try looking at Arnold magnetics to see if they make anything like it in that color.

But honestly if it's meant as a common more choke, then its exact properties probably aren't terribly important. You know the permeability and size, so that's a lot right there. Just find something similar. The only other thing you might want to look at is what frequency it works up to (if you have a network analyzer).

Status
Not open for further replies.