Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where are inductors useful in high speed circuits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a very broad question - sorry...

I've been working on designing some circuits that are designed to run as fast as possible (mostly gate drivers for high power FETs). The circuits I've come up with have been semiconductors, resistors, and capacitors. I got to wondering if inductors have any place in such circuits. I couldn't think of one.

Further - where are inductors used in high speed circuits? I'm guessing they'd be used for things like increasing the gain of an amplifier based on the frequency of the input signal, or some sort of a dc bias of a circuit?

Thanks!

1.You can use Inductors for enhancing the bandwidth of the circuit to more than 3.8X times the initial bandwidth. These are called series peaking, shunt peaking.

2. They are widely used in narrow band circuits to tune the circuit in specified frequency band and they can be used with capacitors as impedance transformers.

2.1 In all these situations you can use active inductor ( which is just a combination of transistor and capacitor), but self resonance of them is lower than the passive ones at high frequency and the circuit will suffer from more noise and less linearity performance.

Inductors won't be useful in gate drive applications. Normally inductors are useful for building tuned filters and impedance matching with a narrow bandwidth (but high frequency). Even though both applications involve high "speed," doesn't mean inductance is useful in both.

Status
Not open for further replies.