Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why darlington is required

Status
Not open for further replies.

angy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was trying to understand the circuit pdf attach as to why darlington transistor(2N6284) required for driving multiple logic IC

That circuit doesn't tell us anything about the load called "multiple logic ICs" but I'll assume that it is intentionally undefined if this is a general-purpose battery back-up supply.
The use of a Darlington simply offers more available current into the "multiple logic ICs" than a single transistor would, from any reference current through the zenner. i.e. Its more efficient.

The zener diode will be able to provide a base current up to a certain limit (to be able to work properly and keep the specified voltage),
using a Darlington transistor the current gain of the two transistors is multiplied so the base current (from zener) will be a fraction of what it would be with only one transistor,
this way you can get higher output current (with the same base current) and more accurate zener voltage because the zener current will not have much variation when the output current changes.

Alex

BTW, I would not try to drive the "multiple logic ICs" with the 10V shown! At most, logic would run off 5V.

With the higher gain of the darlington, you will have a bigger range of output currents that the voltage will remain "regulated" over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back