Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LAPTOP - LCD SCREEN vs LED SCREEN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalimuthu

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
what is the advantage in LAPTOP LCD SCREEN - LED SCREEN?

There are two kinds of LED screen, ones which are really an LCD but use LEDs for backlighting and ones which use OLED to produce the light.

LED back lit LCDs tend to be more energy efficient and because the brightness of the LEDs can be changed very quickly, they sometimes use dynamic brightness control to increase the perceived contrast. LEDs are also low voltage devices and physically smaller that conventional CCFL backlights so the screen can be thinner and a high voltage inverter is not required.

LCDs work by blocking the transmission of the backlight to make the screen dark so full power is always drawn into the backlight whenever any part of the screen is white, even if it is only one pixel.

OLED screens work by producing light rather than blocking it so a dark picture consumes almost no power and an all white picture consumes about the same as an LCD. An 'average' picture content requires far less current in an OLED display than would be used in an LCD so they are generally more efficient.

Brian.

i am pretty certain that LED back lit LCD TVs are far too expensive to be commonplace.

Its like the oasis that is the LED light bulb...it never happened....a 40W incandescant replacement LED bulb costs about £30.

LEDs are too expensive and will always be so

Most semiconductor devices have undergone dramatic improvements such as schootky diodes and fets......but LEDs just cant be improved........there never really has been much improvement in leds since they were developed in the 60's

A typical LED streetlight would cost £1000.

Good by LED....au-revoir.....

I used to work in a lighting company and OLEDs were regarded as a far-too-expensive and impractical proposition for general domestic goods

You are not wrong but I have a mobile phone with a large OLED screen and I have three 22" HD TVs running in the room at the moment all with LED backlights and in total consuming 60W. Living proof the technology exists!

Before you get any funny ideas about my TV viewing habits, I'm sitting in a small TV editing studio !

I would argue there was a huge step in LED technology back around 10 years ago when they changed from direct light emission to using fluorescent dye techniques. Almost all "super bright" LEDs use fluorescence these days.

Brian.

Hi friends,
i'm asking " what is the advantages of LAPTOP LED SCREEN than LCD SCREEN?".\Thank you8)

Understood Kalimuthu, what I'm asking you is what do you define as an LCD screen and an LED screen?

As far as I know, there are no laptops with LED screens on the market at the moment.

There are conventional LCDs with CCFL backlights and there are LCD screens with LED backlights, which of these are you asking about?

Brian.

Hi friends,
i'm asking " what is the advantages of LAPTOP LED SCREEN than LCD SCREEN?".\Thank you8)

There is a huge difference in these two..... Laptops having LED Screens has back up time upto 16, 18 Hours.... how it is possible i can explain.....

LCD is Liquid Crystal Display we all know LCD need a back light to display.... in formal displays LCDs uses LEDs in back to display Data.....

now a days Laptops are using LED Displays which is possible after the invention of OLED and FOLED,,,,, Organic Light Emitting Diodes and Flexible Light Emitting Diodes... these are very low power LED Displays....

now how Laptop backup time increased so much by using LED displays????

<<<<<Answer>>>>>

if u wanna make a black display on LCD what you will do??? you have to apply it supply to make a black display.... but in case of LED display screen if u wanna make Black Display you will turn of supply of each LED..... this make a huge difference and we can save Power!!! and LED Displays didn't need any Back light to make Display .....

PRIUD00Z.jpg

now think about above image display on LCD and LED remember Black Portion and Back light...... now u can see LED Display will consume Less power to make this Display.......

laptop LED or Laptop with ccfl makes no difference in efficiency.

CCFL's are dimmable also.

CCFL's are more efficient than LED.

......Of course, some leds are more efficiennt than ccfl but these type of leds are way too expensive for use in laptops

LED screens also don't use mercury as LCD does

LED screens are not sharp - the edges of images/movies suffer greatly. They only produce a semi-decent picture if it is bright - like on a sunny beach or a sunny day.LED technology is inherently flawed. It was developed to try to overcome the shortcoming of handling true blacks on an LCD screen. If you notice, plasma tv's are on the upswing - all those who get LEDs or want sharp images at high speed like during a footbal game or nlascar race are noting that plasma delivers.
hope u would choose the best according to ur choice..
thanks.....

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Hi friends,

Hi!
The main difference between LED screen and LCD screen is of back light only.

In LCDs manufacturer has been using the florescent tube at the back, in order to produce light on the screen.

Whereas, in LEDs manufacturer is using the tiny lights i.e.
LED (Light Emitting Diode), which energy efficient as compare to florescent tube.

LED screen-consumes less energy, light weight, good looking, saves your E-bills etc....!

LCD screen-consumes more energy, heavy as compare to LEDs and all.....!

So the basic difference is light only, whether it's a TV screen or laptop screen, hardly matters..!

Thank you all.
so the advantage of LED SCREEN than LCD SCREEN
1.Low power consume.
2.light weight to carry any place.
3.looks nice.
4.not making over heat compare to CCFL..
5.low cost manufacturing.
6.not making easy to spoil inverter coil.
7.nice display image.....etc
disadvantages:
1.it's easy to broke the screen due to our mis handling.........

Status
Not open for further replies.