Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with Capacitor banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

slashx15

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
excuse me, could you guys give me pointers on how to design a capacitor bank...

how to derive its charging and discharging time and rate?
how does it work?
can you give me an example design <i mean circuit>

thanks in advance ^^

For what purpose? What voltage? Electrolytic or film capacitors? Manufacturer's sites and google are obviously best start, then with more specific question(s) you will have better chance of getting answer that you are looking for. Generally, individual capacitor limits will be biggest limiting factor, so selection of capacitors will be the most important step.

For what purpose? What voltage? Electrolytic or film capacitors? Manufacturer's sites and google are obviously best start, then with more specific question(s) you will have better chance of getting answer that you are looking for. Generally, individual capacitor limits will be biggest limiting factor, so selection of capacitors will be the most important step.

Hi tnx for the reply... i am currently doing a project on energy harvesting.. i'm planing to store the energy first into a capacitor bank then transfer it to a battery.. the system is intended to charge e-gadgets..

Any help would be greatly appreciated because i'm kinda lost T_T tnx in advance ^^

What is range of currents available from "harvester", what is voltage? How much energy you need stored?

What is range of currents available from "harvester", what is voltage? How much energy you need stored?

Uhmm its about 5v @ 100mA.. i'm planning to charge a laptop.. do you think it is feasible? because as i saw laptop chargers is about 65w, if not charging of other electronic gadgets would do.. tnx in advance..

May i ask, if the bank is able to charge upto 80w how much would it discharge per second? and would it be enough to charge the said 65w device?

Sorry but its quite confusing, my system consist of a harvester, rf to dc, cap bank, battery and a booster. How would you design the system flow? harvester then rf to dc... the dc voltage would charge the cap bank, does is also charge the battery at the same time? what if the battery is already full, does the capacitor provide the output voltage or the battery? tnx ^^

I am sorry, but you will find your idea absolute impossibility. Harvesting radio waves might collect just enough energy for very short operation of very low power device, like sensor mote. Powering laptop from radio waves, even if you overcome technical problems of storing energy for extended time period, will take enormous amount of time to save enough energy even for short operation.

Reactions: jiyer

jiyer

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.