Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Design project with FPGA application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novice1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi..guys..I have a projct that want us to use FPGA application. I did do some research on some project involving FPGA and I did like some of it that is image processing. Anyway I have an idea, is it we able to design a project about agriculture. I want to combine a pH tester ( to measure soil contain )into FPGA board and then display the result on the FPGA LCD either it "ACIDIC" or "ALKALINE" and then it will suggest what type of plan that is suitable for that soil. Is it we able to do that? We use ALTERA DE-2 for this project..any idea or critics are welcome guys, THANK YOU..:smile:

I want to combine a pH tester ( to measure soil contain )into FPGA board and then display the result on the FPGA LCD either it "ACIDIC" or "ALKALINE"
That is indeed possible!

and then it will suggest what type of plan that is suitable for that soil.
Do you mean "plant", or I got you wrong?..

yes..plant..sorry typing error, but how the coding to interface the pH tester? Using RS232? If yes how am I do the coding to interface the RS232 to the FPGA board? Cause so far I know in FPGA is using VHDL code.

I dont know what is output of pH tester will look like. But if its an analog signal then you can send the values to fpga using a ADC. Process this data and use a LCD controller program to display the results on the fpga board LCD.

yes. it is possible. but i can see the problem here is the 'plant'. if you want the fpga to give you suggestion in what plant is suitable for the soil, then you need to store all information of all plants into the fpga's memory. i'm afraid your fpga's memory will not enough. by the way, the idea is good. 4 thumbs up!!

It is possible. If I am not mistaken Altera DE2 has 8Mb SDRAM, so you are going to be able to store a database there. The interface might be a problem. When ordering the pH tester, you need to make sure that it supports the RS232. Otherwise, you will need to either switch to another board with pin headers out, or you will need to create the interface yourself (it will include some soldering).
Your other options for this board are infrared I/O and USB. The choice will depend on the external device interface.

If this is a project for a logic or electronics class, you will need some extensive knowledge of plants (and it is waaaayyy outside the scope of the course).

Good luck.

Reactions: Novice1 and zel

zel

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Novice1

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I understand guys,anyway i got this idea to put external memory for storage plant data but is it possible?beside depend on the internal memory itself..contrary to the interface problem i did'nt understand it quite well for "switch to another board with pin headers out",could explain it much better?
This project for digital design class where we been teach about the role of FPGA roughly.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

I think about this project because I want to apply what we have learn to the real world and I see this agriculture field is a way for us to develop a better green planet.
Anyway for any reason beside this you all can state it here guys..thank you very much..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back