Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPS + GSM/GPRS + Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryex

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

First of all, being my first post, I have to compliment the forum and its users for being such a helpful community.

I am designing a tracking solution with photos. I have done a project using the GM862-GPS before, a while ago.

My questions are:

- Is GM862-GPS still a good module? Or are there any new upgrades or different modules?

- Will GM862-GPS work directly with LinkSprite's JPEG Color Camera Serial UART Interface (RS232 or TTL)?

- If it doesn't work directly how can I connect them? Or is there a better GPS/GSM module to work with those cameras?

- Are there any better camera alternatives?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

try telit gps+ gsm modules///it has both gps and gsm module in a single module..
i have no idea if it is possible to connect camera to the modules.
hope it helps/

I was thinking about using Telit's GM682-GPS solution. However I am now considering Simcom's SIM548C. What are your thoughts about this module?

What would be the main differences between GM682-GPS and SIM548C?

SIM548C does not have an internal mcu, would it be very complex to use this module + mcu compared to Telit's? Are there any examples? Which mcu would you recommend? It should have enough memory to deal with photos.

What about GM682-GPS's internal mcu, which are its specs? I have not found them.

Thanks in advance.

Any thoughts on this?

buy simcom300 if it is simple application of sending and receiving sms and call.... camera if uses RF can be interfaced to PC using tv tuner card.

I need GPS.

To sum up the system I am thinking is:

Camera for photos + GPS for coordinates + GPRS to send photo and coordinates.

What would you say is the best option? If I use GM862-GPS would I need an external MCU?

yes you need an external controller , but request you to think of it again as sending photos has its own restriction in gprs and you need more memory to store and send pictures....

The photos are the essential part of this project. I am aware of the restrictions of sending the photos in gprs.

What would be a generic solution for this project? Could something like this work: SIM548C + MCU (with at least 3 UARTs - GPS, GSM, camera) + Memory expansion + Linksprite's RS232 Camera?

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

If I used Telit's GM862-GPS why wouldn't its internal mcu be enough?

The photos are the essential part of this project. I am aware of the restrictions of sending the photos in gprs.

Are you looking for long distance? If distance is not critical why don't you try WLAN 2.4Ghz for your project. You can interface 2.4Ghz wireless modules with MCU.

Thankyou

I need long distance, the system is intended for vehicle tracking.

Thanks for your help anyway.

No, that is not what I am looking for.

What would be a generic solution for this project? Could something like this work: SIM548C + MCU (with at least 3 UARTs - GPS, GSM, camera) + Memory expansion + Linksprite's RS232 Camera?

your are on correct path..
First you do interface between camera and MCU (ARM is best to do this)
Second connect GPS to Same ARM..
Now this ARM has GPS+CAMERA data
Now you made a GPRS connection using some GSM/GPRS Modem and send the data in packets it will be slow like one image in 1-2 min.. you can increase the speed by decreasing image size to 80x60 pixels which is smalled possible size..

Reactions: princez

princez

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for such great help.

ARM is best to do this

Why would you say ARM is better? I was thinking about an AVR32 (I am more familiar with AVR8 ), what are the advantages of the ARM for my project?

AVR32 is also good only thing is you should have good SRAM
What is cost of AVR32Board in your place

I have looked into ARM MCUs but because I have no clue about ARMs I was a bit confused by so much information.

Which is the best way to choose the right ARM MCU? Where can I get some information/guides for beginners in the ARM world?

Serial Port Camera can help you for the long-distance monitoring of the vehicle.

Just add my Skype: xqsally8, I have much experience on such project. let us talk in details on that.

I have a similar project this year. I have to store video and the forward it over the gsm network. In your case just a single snap shot. I think you should buy a camera with on board jpeg compression, store it on the micro’s memory and then you can simply upload it to you server.
I DON’T ACTUALLY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GM862-GPS MODULE BUT IF IT HAS UART YOU WILL BE FINE I THINK. THEN JUST MAKE SHURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH MEMORY ON IT, OTHERWISE YOU CAN PROBALLY CONNECT SOME EXTERNAL RAM?
I’m faced with the same problems as you when it comes to the ARM processor and choosing the right hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back