Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to solder tsop chip to the PCB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to solder tsop ic

how do people solder tsop chip to the PCB? The legs are so small.

tsop

Stereo microscope.
much (fresh) liquid flux.
De-soldering braid to remove shorts.

Re: tsop

Depends on quantity. If doing 1's or 2's I use a lense from an old pair of binoculars that I ripped the guts from. I still use solder paste, but man does it look huge! If you do not have paste you can use regular solder followed by solder wick to remove the excess.

tsop

how do you use the solder wick?

What do you use to as a heat source to heat up the solder paste?

Re: tsop

If unfamiliar with solder wick - Solder wick is a copper braid impregnated with flux. You lay the wick on top of the joint you want to remove solder from. Apply your solder iron on top of the wick. As the wick heats up the solder will flow from the joint into the wick.

For soldering TSOPs:
(A) Solder with regular solder without worrying about shorts. After all leads have solder, remove excess with solder wick.

(2) Solder paste is a mix of very small solder balls suspended in a flux. You can purchase a hot-air soldering iron to heat up the IC and solder paste. Ideally you should use a hot plate as a preheater. This will speed up the heating process. There is also info on the web for using a toaster oven as a batch mode soldering oven when assembling complete boards. I haven't used this though.

A note on surface mount packages like the TSOP. The key location for the solder on the lead is the back-side of the pin, the location hardest to see. You can see some of the pin back-sides when viewed at just the right angle using a magnifier. There is no need for large solder blobs on the pin front-sides.

tsop

it, on type of solder

Status
Not open for further replies.