Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Question] Hex Keypad for entering ASCII characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrrah

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
good day! i just wanna ask if it's possible to use a 4x4 hex keypad to enter/display ascii characters (A-Z, 0-9, special characters) into an LCD?
just like in mobile phones wherein a key can be used to enter 3-4 characters i.e, button 2 for abc, 3 for def, 4 for ghi and so on..

is it possible? if yes, i need ideas on how to do it.

pls guide me..

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

just like this one..
Nokia-3310+-+www.old-handphone.blogspot.com.jpg

coz im planning to add other means of DATA entry to my LED message display board, aside from using a PC..

i'll be glad to hear suggestions from people in this forum..

Hi,

A keypad just makes an electrical connection, its the program that senses those connections that generates whatever character you want.

There are quite a few threads on this forum about using Nok keypads etc.

Cannot advise more as you do not mention which micro or language you will use ...

Whatever is the controller you need to have 4 sets of delay loop to detect the key press and determins it as short keypress or long key press. and count the number button press and load the lcd with a predefined array value....

thats the concept in mobiles, where they implement short and long key press as well as counting number of times key is pressed.

i'll be using PIC877a micro, assembly language..

is it really possible to implement this? i need more ideas...

all right.. so it can be done.. thank you sir..

now, can anybody please give me links to projects, tutorials and other resources related to this?

i'll appreciate every suggestions and ideas on this matter.. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.