Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get reflection phase versus parameters for reflect array antenna in HFSS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THBRock

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody!!!
I have been researching reflectarray antenna recently, but I encounter some problem :sad::sad:
to be quite honest, I start to use HFSS for a short time, so I can't grasp the way using it perfectly.
How to get reflection phase versus parameters such as line length or radius length??
I use plane wave as excitation, and I can't find the way getting plot in result :???::???:
Thank you

Hi,

Have you get your problem solved?

I have try floquet port and wave port. To plot the reflection phase in HFSS, just go to "HFSS" -> "Results" -> "Create Modal Solution Data Report" -> "Rectangular Plot" after click on "Rectangular Plot" a new trace window will appear here you can configure the setting of your results, set "Category:" to "S Parameter" and set "Function:" to "cang_deg", by default the reflection phase is plot against frequency, to plot reflection phase vs phase shifting parameter, just change the "Primary Sweep:" to your phase shifting parameter name then you get the curve for reflection phase versus parameter.

Hope this help.:)

Last edited:
I'm very grateful to you for responding, but I still doubt whether floquet port can use for array??? I'm designing element without studying arrays.
can you send any HFSS project to me?
Thank you very much!!

Floquet ports were introduced with infinite arrays in mind. If you desire to quickly and accurately know the phase of a reflect array, you should use floquet ports and M/S boundaries as per unit cell simulations. There is an example in the help to assist.

have fun

thanks tallface and shahzadsadiq30!!!
but how to control angle of incidence as using Floquet port?

The best software to simulate reflectarray antennas with floquet ports is CST MWS.
You set the boundaries conditions of your element to unit cell , and select your incident angle of the floquet modes.

If you need further help on the subject , send me an message

regards

thanks tallface and shahzadsadiq30!!!
but how to control angle of incidence as using Floquet port?

Hi THBRock,

Have you find out how to set incidence angle? We can set the incidence angle under "properties" of the defined slave boundary. Just go to "project manager" located on left hand side then find "boundaries" and double click on one of the name of the slave boundary that you have defined say "slave1" and the slave properties window will appear, go to "Phase Delay", here you can specify the incidence angle by enter the "phi" "theta" under "Use Scan Angles To Calculate Phase Delay". Then HFSS will auto configure the floquet port for the same incidence angle.

Hope this help.

The best software to simulate reflectarray antennas with floquet ports is CST MWS.
You set the boundaries conditions of your element to unit cell , and select your incident angle of the floquet modes.

If you need further help on the subject , send me an message

regards

Hi answa,

I am confused about the simulation in CST. I tried the unit cell BCs with floquet port, in freq solver, but the results are obviouly not the same as HFSS. Also tried pairs of magnetic walls and electric walls, with waveguide port, also got wrong results. Can you give any hints? Thanks!

Hello,
I've found your reply very helpful for setting up the simulation. Thanks alot !
However, I'm still having problems to analyse the reflection properties for some angle of incidences. For example, if phi = 0 or phi = 90; the resonance is observed only in one of the TE00 or TM00 modes exist and the corresponding phase response can be used to design the array. But say if theta = 20 and phi = 45 deg, then resonances are seen in both the TE00 and TM00 modes. In this case, which mode do I use to obtain the phase and loss of the unit cell ?

Last edited:

As you mentioned already that cang_deg is used for reflection phase. My question is that what is the difference between ang_deg and cang_deg? As I got different phase curves for ang_deg and cang_deg for same unit cell with same specification. which one gives accurate results? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

Have you get your problem solved?

I have try floquet port and wave port. To plot the reflection phase in HFSS, just go to "HFSS" -> "Results" -> "Create Modal Solution Data Report" -> "Rectangular Plot" after click on "Rectangular Plot" a new trace window will appear here you can configure the setting of your results, set "Category:" to "S Parameter" and set "Function:" to "cang_deg", by default the reflection phase is plot against frequency, to plot reflection phase vs phase shifting parameter, just change the "Primary Sweep:" to your phase shifting parameter name then you get the curve for reflection phase versus parameter.

Hope this help.:)

As you mentioned already that cang_deg is used for reflection phase. My question is that what is the difference between ang_deg and cang_deg? As I got different phase curves for ang_deg and cang_deg for same unit cell with same specification. which one gives accurate results? Thanks

Reactions: NOLAKE

NOLAKE

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back