Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OrCAD PCB Editor, Importing DXF files (again) for etch layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbss

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am familiar with the Import DXF functionality of OrCAD PCB Editor, and have successfully imported drawings for things like a company logo and an ESD symbol for the silk screen. However, now I would like to import a dxf onto the etch layer, make all of the resultant shapes dynamic, and assign them to nets.

I have been able to import the drawing onto the etch layer and make the shapes dynamic, but I am having difficulties assigning them to nets. Originally, after importing the drawing, the shapes were static. I selected all the shapes, and used "Shape --> Change Shape Type" to convert them to dynamic. However, the "Assign net name" portion of the options tab in the editor is grayed out. The shapes are all assigned to "Dummy Net," and can't seem to be assigned to anything else.

I don't particularly care if the shapes are static or dynamic -- I just need to be able to assign them to nets. Does anyone have any advice/tips?

shapes.png

This picture shows what happens when the shapes are dynamic --> they are redrawn away from the pads of the component (if they are static, they aren't redrawn, but they register as DRC errors). The goal here is to have the shape that pin 2 of the capacitor is sitting on be Ground.

Solved my own problem...

For anyone who has a similar issue:

The problem was with how I was selecting the shapes.

After importing the shapes (onto the etch layer), convert them to dynamic shapes ("Shape --> Change shape type --> Select "To dynamic copper" --> click on shapes).

Next: Shape --> Edit Shape Boundaries. When that command is active, go to: Shape --> Select Shape or Void (do NOT simply click on the shape of interest). Then assign the net name.

Picture attached:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back