Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What things should a junior RF engineer learn ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calvinckc

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What things should a junior RF engineer learn nowadays except just learning RF from many RF books ??

I am puzzled because there is only one senior RF engineer in my company and he has no time to teach me because of his heavy work
load ......

you should be getting familiar with the test equipment, including the network analyzer, spectrum analyzer, noise figure meter, and other equipment.

the best way to learn is to volunteer to do something -- that way you prove you can do something -- pick something easy, they will eventually give you more and more challenging work, and get friendly with everyone since they may help you later

join any well known RF discussion group .. listen for a month .. send message with primitive question for another month .. get all primitives and principles .. try to allocate the best tool used by those engineers .. learn it .. then start with a tutorial or something .. maybe a sample project in the tools user manual .. stuff like that ..
finally try to work with a group of engineers to design something valuable ..

at this point .. u'll just be on the road

RF Engineering.
RF means electromagnetic.
Engineering means to arrange things skilfully.
RF Engineer means to arrange things in the electromagnetic environment skilfully.
For engineering study I think should study in
1. System design level.
2. Equipment design level.
3. Board or module design level.
4. Component selection and design level.
And in all level should know how to use tools and measuring equipments effectively.

Calvinckc said:
What things should a junior RF engineer learn nowadays except just learning RF from many RF books ??

I am puzzled because there is only one senior RF engineer in my company and he has no time to teach me because of his heavy work
load ......

Hi,

Maybe your could start off by understanding your product (eg. the different concepts and designs used ) and at the same time relate it to what you have studied.

;)

Hi,maybe you need some known the basic concepts
of rfic designfirst ,then try to leant how to use eda tools such as ads cadence or others,then you can start your work now!

i think you should be familar with the test equipment of microwave at first

concepts are the utmost important! :)

concepts, theory good,

but you need to do testing and small things first,
volunteer it is the best way,

you need to learn how to test and how and when things can go wrong -- you can't learn this even with PhD.

all experience.

Calvinckc said:

load ......

You should start of with the following

1. Understanding basic RF principles (Transmission lines, Smith Chart, Impedance Matching & of course S-parameters!)

2. Understanding how basic measurements like VSWR, Gain, Power are
made practically. For this you should get acquainted with Network Analyser, Spectrum Analyser, Power Meter and Swept frequency sources.

3. Once you are done with the above two essentials, you can attempt
to measure available passive devices like filters, couplers, isolators etc. to just get a feel about the way measurements are done.

4. If your work demands designing RF circuits you can start off with getting familiar with some RF simulators like ADS, Microwave office (any other inexpensive software would do)

why don't you start right away! :wink:

You guys give me valuable suggestion!!
thank you very much ^_^

one more. learn simulation software used by your company.

Gather informations, study - by theory and experiment, apply things up

Get to know instruments in RF field.

Be friendly.

u should know some basics like

RF amplifier design
Some Famous ICs like 1496 & 3028 and their apps in RF
PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor