Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12c508A Programing problem with ICPROG

Status
Not open for further replies.

janosandi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys
I have a problem with 12c508 programming with ICPROG

my programmer (JDM Programmer)works good on 16f84 & 12f629 But i never tried 12c508A before
When i program this chip it takes too long time comparing with 16f84
Is This Normal ?

When i program the chip without Code protect(i never tried code protection Before on this chip) i cant read it again & the section of code keep empty & the rest looks like its Code protected

Any idea about this ?

your help will be apriciated
Thx
Johnny

Last edited:

It is probably an incompatibility with the programmer, check the 12C508a is supported.
Also note that the IC is not erasable and not re-programmable, you only get one chance to get it right! If you want to be able to use it again, use the 12F508 instead, the 'F' types can be wiped and reused.

Brian.

Thx MR
I have lost few chips & i need the program on 12c508 bcoz its cheaper
is it possible my programmer programs 16f84 or 12f629 & cant program c508?

Thx again

I would try to get hold of a windowed version of this chip, it can then be erased. I made my eraser using a simple hand held UV light in which I replaced the tube with UV tube used in fish tank/pond uv sterilisers.

12C508A is obsolete and replaced by the 12F508. If you are worried about cost, consider that obsolete devices will only go up in price as supplies dry up. The 'F' version is already one of the cheapest on the market and is still in production. The cost here (from Farnell in the UK) is 0.99 for the 12C508A and 0.56 for the 12F508 in single quantities.

Brian.

Confirm that you are not trying to program those 12C508's which are alreday programmed once. Coz it cant be done again. You may try programming with 12F508's.
Cheers
**broken link removed**

Thx Guys
i already have 12f508 which i can program it But my question is about 12c508 which is cheaper here & we dont have 12f508 in market & i have 50 pieces of 12c508 i want to use them
& again i tell that i know its OTP device which means cant program it again

i can program 12f508 on my programmer & read the code again BUT for 12c508 when i program it i got locked ic when read it & THIS is my question
& ofcourse no one tells me that i have activated the CP Command bcoz as i said b4 its not active

& again my programer works on 12f508

If anyone worked on any version of ICPROG & JDM programmer & have programmed 12c508 on this combination help me plz

Thx u all again

Last edited:

BUT for 12c508 when i program it i got locked ic when read it & THIS is my question & ofcourse no one tells me that i have activated the CP Command bcoz as i said b4 its not active
Any programmer never locks a chip while Reading. Clarify that you have made a "blank check" before programming to confirm the chips are blank as those chips cannot be erased.
**broken link removed**

YES
the 12C508A can be programmed ( but only once, and there should be no mistakess as corrction is impossible , it is OTP)on JDMs. cost matters only if you are thinking of bulk production.
any mistake , you loose the chip
so manage on 12F and later correct the software to suite 12C508A, specific. and try wasting one chip
once it works , you can replicate.

My chip was blank & its not locking when reading its got locked when programming

I've got 12f508 & im able to write a code into it & read it but its not working with me
im using RC oscillator & trying small program to make on ouput only high

Im using ext rc bcoz as i found around i've lost the osc calibration so im using external RC but my chip is not working
any example program will be helpfulf

thx
Johnny

A generic procedure for loading osccal value when it is missing is described in this link. it is adaptable to other programmers as well i suppose. In general it is better to note the oscal value for a chip under use, by a number marked on it, and keep record so that when such accidents happen, the value could be loaded back.
**broken link removed**

Thx for help
Its enough for me to use the ext RC for now & ihave read the same link before & thats who told me that i've lost my osc value
any example to test my chip will be appriciated
just to light a led onany pin is enough to start with it

Hello guys
I've made a new jdm programmer again & it works
my old one works well on 16f84 & 12f508 & 12f629
The only problem was 12c508 & now it works

Thx For help

Status
Not open for further replies.