Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most Energy Efficient LCD Displays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am planning to make a device which can run multiple years on battery pack. I am looking forward for energy efficient LCD option for handheld device. It will be very helpful if some have any information regarding this and share it.

Regards
Dani

Monochrome LCD consumes less than Color LCD.
In addition, monochrome LCD usually don't need back-light (energy consumer on its own).
Monochrome segments LCD consumes less than monochrome dot-matrix LCD.
And... electronic-ink consume less than LCD, but that's different technology and a different story...

Thanks yoramgr for information its relay help full.

Do you have any links to vendors to these lcd.?

Regards
Dani

Have a look at the LCD section in www.sparkfun.com
A good choice for low power could be this:
SparkFun Electronics - Graphic LCD 84x48 - Nokia 3310
though you need to check if it is not too small / can display all the information you need.

If it is only a few numbers you need to display, maybe a few 7-segments LCD is enough (will probably draw less power)?
If so, you may consider things like:
7 Segment Display, Seven Segment Display, LCD Display, 7 Segment LCD Displays, RoHS Compliant LCD Displays

or other source of 7-segment LCD glass only.
To operate those, you'll need a compatible LCD controller. Microchip has a family of PIC microcontrollers with internal LCD controller that can do the job. Other microcontroller makers have such too, but I'm less familiar with.

Remember that no back-light means less power consumption, but also means that you need ambient light to be able to read them, so you cannot read them in darkness.

Hello, I have used different nokia lcds in several battery powered devices. In all cases where you use an LCD you will have to power manage it.

These nokia LCDs use very little current and can be powered directly from the microcontroller pins (when using 3.3V), making it easy to completely power it off.

If you need it to permanently display something then it will need to be a simple LCD where you will have to do the segment driving for optimum power usage.

Of course it also depends on the capacity of your battery.

Hello all,

I am planning to make a device which can run multiple years on battery pack. I am looking forward for energy efficient LCD option for handheld device. It will be very helpful if some have any information regarding this and share it.

Regards
Dani

Segment based LCD displays use the least amount of power. These are what is used in LCD battery powered clocks.
Restrictive to numerics (7 segment number) , 'X' based text, or custom icons like battery indicator bars.

A matrix scan display using a dot matrix will use a lot more power. A constant row/column refresh scanning consumes most of power.

Depends if you need quality looking text characters and what your definition of 'low power' is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back