Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is difference between Spice 3 and PSpice 9.1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

epp

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Spice 3

What is difference between Spice 3 and PSpice 9.1 student? I mean if I get descriptions for Spice 3 is it possible to do same job better in PSpice 9.1 or is it the same?

Re: Spice 3

pspice=spice3
pspice model can't use for spice3.
pspice have better ice interface,and easy to use.

Ok let me describe what I know;

Spice is the university project started more then 20 years ago in Berkeley university California. It was intended to solve some partial analysis only at the begining but afterwords it become more and more sofisticated ... the final version is 3f as far as I know. Check for more informatuion. The pspice from the other hand was developed by the Microsim corporation and in general was spice 3 with extra schematic capture tool. Microsim have developed good waveform displaying tool also (it calles probe). About 4 years ago however Orcad has bought Microsim and pspice become their product. 2 years ago Cadance bought Orcad but keapt the Orcad as a trade mark for the pspice. So in general pspice uses with some exception the same models and network description language. Most of the solvers are the same but some extra efforts have been made recent years for improvement the convergency problems in pspice so they can differ in this respect. Also I am not sure that spice 3 support all the simulation types which exist in pspice 9.1 Currently pspice can use the Orcad schematic capture as an input and updated version of the Microsims Probe.

regards
dora

Hi

The next generation of Spice 3 is continued in the ng-spice project.
Track it via sourceforge.net:

Ngspice is both the name of a development project and the name of the developed software (hmm, strange isnt'it ?). The ngspice project aims to build an open source GPLed mixed-mode/mixed-level circuit simulator. This means that the circuit simulator has to be written nearly from scratch, which is a complex and time consuming task. The project first step (and not a small one) has been to get a freely available (but not GPLed) circuit simulator, spice 3f5 and studied its code in the hope that we could use it as a base for the real ngspice (the GPLed one). While it is not possible, at the time this page is written, to base our code on spice 3f5, because of a conflict between its license and the GPL, we are trying to correct its bugs and make some improvements, providing our results to the community. This process goes in parallel with the task of writing the new simulator. We hope that Berkeley's people will change spice's license releasing it under GPL or under the new version of the BSD which has the incompatibility removed. This will surely speed up the coming of the real ngspice.

1. h**p://ngspice.sourceforge.net/

* -> t

tnx

Ok. I was wondering whether I can use models for Spice 3 in pspice 9.1.
According to your answer I suppose that I can use same models in 9.1.
Regards

use Altium_Designer

Status
Not open for further replies.