Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how do i amplify the output voltage of a signal generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farishamam

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i'm using a 100 MHz signal generator with maximum output of -13dbm, what amplifier design do i use to get 12v output?
thank you...

100 MHz signal bandwidth normally implies 50 ohm impedance matching. 12V can mean 12 V into 50 ohm load (12 Vrms, Vp or Vpp ?) or 12 V unloaded output voltage. Depending on the intended generator output waveform, a more detailed amplifier specification should be given. E.g. do you need DC capability?

You can use a Monolithic Amplifier as MAR-8 which can give +12.5 dBm at the output from the available input signal.

https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/MAR-8A+.pdf

This circuit is 50 ohms input/output and requires minimum number of external components.
Can be DC supplied at 12V using proper bias resistor.

the signal is sinusoidal, i need to amplify it to 12Vpp then transmit using an antenna (50 ohms)

---------- Post added at 15:11 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

100 MHz signal bandwidth normally implies 50 ohm impedance matching. 12V can mean 12 V into 50 ohm load (12 Vrms, Vp or Vpp ?) or 12 V unloaded output voltage. Depending on the intended generator output waveform, a more detailed amplifier specification should be given. E.g. do you need DC capability?
the signal is sinusoidal, i need to amplify it to 12Vpp then transmit using an antenna (50ohm)...

The usual specification for a RF amplifier would be +26 dBm Pout in this case. There are various amplifiers available on the market. If it's small bandwidth (you didn't tell about), it can be build from discrete transistors rather easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back