Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate square wave with the serial port in Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amtalan

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Win XP & serial port

I need to generate a stable square wave (max frequency 5K) with the serial port.

With a simple program in basic I see an irregular square wave, I think due to the interrupt management.

A solution should be to use DOS but, is possible to do the same task in XP?

Regards

A.

Re: Win XP & serial port

amtalan said:
I need to generate a stable square wave (max frequency 5K) with the serial port.

With a simple program in basic I see an irregular square wave, I think due to the interrupt management.

A solution should be to use DOS but, is possible to do the same task in XP?

Regards

A.

Under Windows it is only possible, if you using as output, serial port data bit, enable serial port FIFO, and manipulate with serial data pattern (RS232 data always have start and stop bits) and speed.

YOU CAN'T USE DOS ROUTINES IN XP.
TO MAKE A WAVE IS BETTER USE A 555 AND FF.
BYE

Hi, I've done a lot of serial communication stuff under DOS and Windows, my personal oppinion is: Forget It!
Even with my DOS real time kernel I'm not able to produce a stable response time for serial communication. The time varries a "little" bit, up to some 10 -50µS!!! But the real time system tells you this.
Take a small micro, and connect this micro via RS232 to your computer. Then the computer will give a short command and say: "Give me 5kHz!" and the micro will produce... If you are fimilar with µ's you can do this in 2 hours. This would be MY way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back