Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3.3v,1W Zener doid Regulator, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mailar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have 12 V battery
and I want to use it to drive 3.3V 30mA micro I/O's

In my circuit i have 3.3v 1W Zener diod with series rsistance Rs,I am not getting stable output When i am varying my source voltage from 3.3 to 12v

And i am using these formula to calculate Rs

Imax = Watts / voltage = 1 / 3.3v = 303mA

Rs= ( Vs - Vz ) / Imax = (12 - 3.3) / 303mA = 28 ohm

can any body help me...

Last edited:

The minimum discharge voltage for 12 V battery shoudln't be below about 10 V, otherwise it gots permanently degraded. With 10 to 14 V input coltage, a zener regulator should manage it.

Of course, you won't get perfect regulation with a zener diode even for a restricted voltage range. It's also not reasonable to apply 300 mA to the zener diode, I think. It would mean less than 10 % efficiency of your "regulator" circuit. In any case, an IC voltage regulator should be preferred, consuming nearly no excess power.

Thanks..! But i am using Variable source input(Vs) from 0-12v.

But i am using Variable source input(Vs) from 0-12v.
Yes, obviously regulation can't be achieved over this input voltage range. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.